HVX "Shutter Angle"

Drew Hoffman

I'm in pre-production on a short that features a scene which (under perfect circumstances) would be served very well by cutting the shutter angle and making the scene look a little more hectic. However, since we'll be shooting on the HVX, with (God I hope) P2 cards... I was wondering how successful others have been replicating such an effect digitally.

If by "replicating such an effect digitally" means "can this be emulated in post?" that can prove tricky. I don't think it can be done easily since what you're capturing in camera will have the temporal artifacts of a wider shutter. Meaning the blur associated with a 180° shutter, for example, would have to be removed and and the image sharpened. The removal of the blur is the tricky part. You might want to try a "sharpen" plugin with perhaps pulling frames or speeding up the footage to give it some edge and jumpiness.

In the HVX Scene File menu setting, go to Synchro Scan, push "set" (yes) button and it should show 180 degrees. Go to "yes" and then find the shutter angle you would like. 10 degrees being really sharp motion like 1/2000 almost. You loose about 4 1/2 stops.

Make sure the camera is in FILM CAM mode.