What's the dynamic range of 8mm film

Mark Munte

• Premium Member

What's the maximum dynamic range of Normal 8 and Super 8 film?

Or, how much dynamic range should a CCD sensor have in order to capture ALL of the films contrast in one scanning step with a single exposure.

I'm thinking about what would be the best way to scan 8mm film and output it to DVD.

1) capture with a high dynamic range CCD device as a 10 or 12 bit file and then adjust each scene for output on NLE

or

2) adjust exposure for each scene while scanning

I believe the first option would be far more practical if it is really possible to capture all dynamic range at a single exposure.

Any thoughts welcome :)

What's the maximum dynamic range of Normal 8 and Super 8 film?

Or, how much dynamic range should a CCD sensor have in order to capture ALL of the films contrast in one scanning step with a single exposure.

I'm thinking about what would be the best way to scan 8mm film and output it to DVD.

1) capture with a high dynamic range CCD device as a 10 or 12 bit file and then adjust each scene for output on NLE

or

2) adjust exposure for each scene while scanning

I believe the first option would be far more practical if it is really possible to capture all dynamic range at a single exposure.

Any thoughts welcome :)

Depends on the filmstock. At maximum, the dynamic range can be up to 15 stops lattitude with the latest V2 stocks.

• Premium Member
Depends on the filmstock. At maximum, the dynamic range can be up to 15 stops lattitude with the latest V2 stocks.

Wow - that's a lot! Much more than any current CCD sensor can do. But what about old films from the 30's to 80's, what's their typical dynamic range?

Is there any list of film stock vs dynamic range?

Regards

Mark

• Premium Member
Wow - that's a lot! Much more than any current CCD sensor can do. But what about old films from the 30's to 80's, what's their typical dynamic range?

Is there any list of film stock vs dynamic range?

Regards

Mark

I don't think it works that way. Film Stocks with less dynamic range such as reversal films can actually be harder to transfer because information is still there, it's just even harder to get onto tape because of the contrast ratio.

If you want to experiment, find a kodachrome and ektachrome slide and experiment with that. Expose the slide via your camcorder for the highlights, then expose for the blacks, then play with the gamma adjustment of the camera (or try and reduce contrast) and try the same technique to see if you can retain more of the image.

Now keep in mind that the super-8 frame being smaller will make it more difficult on backlit and wide angle contrasty shots.