Standard mount lenses on 16BL

Kenny N Suleimanagich

I read somewhere that if using std mount lenses on a 16BL, you run into problems with the back element hitting the shutter. However, if they have the same flange focal distance wouldn't they be the same protrudance into the camera? Does anyone know any more info on this topic?

When I was at Sawyer Camera, we had two 10mm Schneider Cinegons.

One cleared the mirror on a 16BL, the other didn't.

The one that didn't clear had a flange around the rear element, while the other one didn't have the flange.

So some lenses clear, some don't.

Flange focal distance has no direct relationship to the rear focus of a lens, which is the distance from the rear element to the film plane.

You would need the Prime Lens Blimp if you intend to shoot with sync sound.

"Nevermind I found out you cant!"

If that's related to the lens blimp, that's a completely diferent issue.

I just didnt know as to whether or not you could. I'd rather not take the risk and buy glass that wont fit. The lens blimp isn't much of an issue.

Arri used to have lists of what fits. They would be listed in a 16BL manual. It might be the same as the SR.

Off hand the 8mm Zeiss standard fits, the 9mm and 12.5mm Cooke Kinetal won't, longer Kinetals will.

• Premium Member
Arri used to have lists of what fits. They would be listed in a 16BL manual. It might be the same as the SR.

Off hand the 8mm Zeiss standard fits, the 9mm and 12.5mm Cooke Kinetal won't, longer Kinetals will.

http://emrl.com/resources/film/camera/arri_16bl.pdf

Pages 4/5 list them. I'd just be a bit wary of using the wides with the lens blimp. I don't really know how that would work.

http://emrl.com/resources/film/camera/arri_16bl.pdf

Pages 4/5 list them. I'd just be a bit wary of using the wides with the lens blimp. I don't really know how that would work.

The Universal lens blimp was designed to be osed with the listed lenses, therefore it should work fine with the 8mm Zeiss and 10mm Cinegon. This is not the same blimp thats on the 12-120mm Angie.

But changing lens will be a pain in the butt.