200ft magazines

kevin jackman

i understand that there were 200ft magazines from kodak and an aftermarket one. does anybody know anything about them? is the kodak one reloadable?are there any mags for sale,especially the aftermarket ones?

The 200 ft cartridges from Kodak are not reloadable. (well, there are people that say that they can reload them... anyway...).

Kodak stopped the production of these carts at 1996-1997 (due to low demand).

The reloadable 200ft magazine (SD-60 or something) is for the Beaulieu sound cameras (6-7-9008 cameras).

It was made by Ritter in Germany, and it's very rare and expensive. A standard Beaulieu 6008s also needs modifications to accept it.

I have such an example (a Ritter-Beaulieu 6008s) but I'm missing the mag! <_<

i understand that there were 200ft magazines from kodak and an aftermarket one. does anybody know anything about them? is the kodak one reloadable?are there any mags for sale,especially the aftermarket ones?

The kodak 200ft mag was designed for one way use. I opened one; it seemed impossible to reload it. It has a funny spring mechanisme that makes it nearly impossible to reload it by opening.

another thing I imagined was to unwind an cut out most of the old film, let some handles at the end and the start and tape the freshh stuff in between and rewind. No idea if this works, it certainly would scratch a little, don't know if it's a suitable task to do in a changing-bag, and your workflow wouldn't realy benefit compared to the use of 50ft-cardridges.

cheers, bernhard

• 1 month later...

It's too hard trying to reload the Kodak mags.

I owned some of those Beaulieu/Ritter cameras with 200ft mags at one time, but they are quite heavy. There are some pics on this web-page of my camera:

Beaulieu SD8 system.

They were great for long take shots and had good image stability but it ate the batteries.

Edited by Tony Hudson

i understand that there were 200ft magazines from kodak [...] is the kodak one reloadable?

I had 5 or 6 of them when I had access to (long) short-ends in 50' S8 cartridges. Kodak press tapes went smoothly through mag, camera and processor. Shot thousands of feet with only one or two jams. Watch the counter and listen for the splice, or throw caution to the wind and allow random fades to/from white.

You have to *really* want to do it. ~:?)

Then again, once you've figured it out...

Crack it carefully in half, practice loading with leader. Only one path makes sense. The little band spring is ingenious and diabolical - you hold the feed reel and backwind the takeup reel, after you hook the tiny tooth into the invisible slot, then attach head of film...I forget how to do it, but you need a darkroom, not a bag.

Mitch

Edited by Mitch Perkins