Under 20 mins?

Dmitry Kichenko

Hello everyone,

I am, hopefully, receiving my brand new K-3 in the mail tomorrow, if UPS doesn't mess it up once again, and picking up a few reels of 50D stock.

My problem is, of course, getting the shot reels telecined. The local telecine facilities here in Vancouver BC (Northwest FX, Technicolor and Rainmaker) require a minimum of 1 hour lab time, which is of course far more than I need to get 2 reels of 16mm scanned.

The other option I'm looking into is sending it off to Frame Discreet in Toronto who will do an uncompressed transfer straight onto an HDD, for around $25 CDN per reel.

Would you guys recommend anyone in particular for this kind of job, or should I just beg really hard to do this as a one-light test at midnight at one of the major players?

Thanks!

Edited by Dmitry Kichenko

Any places you can suggest for getting cheap stock? I've just been to Kodak on Gilmore this morning to pick up some 50D, but of course it's like 50 bucks a roll if you're buying low quantity. I've called around to the post-production places and they don't seem to have any short-ends lying around.

• Premium Member
Hello everyone,

I am, hopefully, receiving my brand new K-3 in the mail tomorrow, if UPS doesn't mess it up once again, and picking up a few reels of 50D stock.

My problem is, of course, getting the shot reels telecined. The local telecine facilities here in Vancouver BC (Northwest FX, Technicolor and Rainmaker) require a minimum of 1 hour lab time, which is of course far more than I need to get 2 reels of 16mm scanned.

The other option I'm looking into is sending it off to Frame Discreet in Toronto who will do an uncompressed transfer straight onto an HDD, for around $25 CDN per reel.

Would you guys recommend anyone in particular for this kind of job, or should I just beg really hard to do this as a one-light test at midnight at one of the major players?

Thanks!

I've found that quite a few TK places will make exceptions on their minimum suite time for camera tests.

Hello everyone,

I think, you not need telecine for first test of camera.

The your camera can need service, libe and adjust of optical characteristics.

Possible, you will need modify of film channel too.

You can shoot of test picture ( resolution, sharpness, stability test ) and show a test film by projector.

After this, you can shoot of full test with telecine.

You can to save money.

The good film for test - B&W negative film, and you can process at home ( yes, of course, if you have spiral tank for processing of cine film ).

The B&W print film can be use for test footages too.

The good source of film with low price - Film Emporium company.

http://www.tapesuperstore.com/16mm35mm.html

(If you have questions, You can write me on russian )

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid I'm too excited not to telecine the test. In fact, I just got some stock from Kodak this morning.

I got the camera from a guy in LA who assured me it's fully working. He seems to know quite a bit about cameras, so I'm just going to have to take his word for it.

Thanks for the link of the guys selling tape too. I think I'm going to call them up because, while their film prices are great, the shipping is simply insane - their website wants to charge me seventy five bucks for shipping. I can ship my dead body there for less!

Any places you can suggest for getting cheap stock? I've just been to Kodak on Gilmore this morning to pick up some 50D, but of course it's like 50 bucks a roll if you're buying low quantity. I've called around to the post-production places and they don't seem to have any short-ends lying around.

Post houses wouldn't have short ends. Production would. Usually the 2nd AC on a show would have them. Check out IA669 production list and call up a 35mm shows' office and try and get contact info for the main unit 2nd AC. I have a 400ft roll of 50D, but I can't sell it for less then $80.

Edited by Chayse Irvin

If you're doing tests for an upcoming shoot which will send the lab/telecine facility a bit of business their way, then it shouldn't be difficult to get them to handle some tests for free. Just make certain to run how much you're planning on shooting for test through them first, so there's no hard feelings either way.

Another thing with tests is that generally when dealing with smaller quantities of film, it can be about the same cost if not cheaper to actually get a film print back. Since telecine has fixed minimum setup and transfer time costs, sometimes the per-foot economics of printing work in your favor. This has the advantage of higher quality and precise inspection on a big screen. If you don't have access to a 16mm projector, most places should have the facility to screen it for you at their location. Anyway, good luck and hope all goes well!

The thing is I decided that instead of just shooting charts, I'll shoot a mini-movie as a test, with various depth of field, colour, filter and framerate tests. I'd like to telecine it to be able to edit it later :).

I think I'll call up one of the labs and offer at least Some money for the transfer. I mean, two reels with a one light transfer is 6 mins of footage. I'm gonna try and beg them to spend their lunch time on me for some pocket cash =).