Anamorphic Feature

Svetlana Cvetko

I've been asked to shoot a feature on the F900 anamorphic 2.35.

I've searched these forums, and found a lot of information, but it was all dated from 2005 and before.

Has anything changed since then?

Has anyone used the Canon ACV-235 converter specifically?

Does it have any stop loss?

Can't I use native anamorphic lenses with a pro35 adapter?

Is the general consensus that it is still better to crop vs squeeze.

Can anybody recommend recent features that used cropped, or anamorphic so that I can compare?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Svetlana

• Premium Member
Has anyone used the Canon ACV-235 converter specifically?

Does it have any stop loss?

Can't I use native anamorphic lenses with a pro35 adapter?

Is the general consensus that it is still better to crop vs squeeze.

Can anybody recommend recent features that used cropped, or anamorphic so that I can compare?

The Canon ACV-235 adaptor is still very rare. I can't think of any feature that has used one yet.

Regular 35mm anamorphic lenses have a 2X squeeze, so put on a 16x9 (1.78 : 1) HD camera, the resulting image would be 3.56 : 1 once stretched horizontally to look normal. Once you cropped the sides from 3.56 to 2.35, you wouldn't have any resolution advantage compared to shooting spherical and cropping 1080 lines to 800 lines vertically.

Theatrically, almost all HD-shot movies released in 2.35 have either used cropping... or used the Viper camera, which has a unique sensor design that allows 2.35 without cropping.

Viper movies shot in 2.35 mode: Zodiak, Collateral, Miami Vice (other cameras used as well for those last two)

Otherwise... for example, Superman Returns, Flyboys, Reign Over Me, The Lookout, Next -- were all shot on the Panavision Genesis, all cropped to 2.35 for release in 35mm anamorphic.

I would really recommend pushing for viper if you can. It shoots 2.37 in a way that instead of cropping or using anamorphic lenses it changes that actual size of the vertical pixels being recorded by technology that allows the pixels to become taller or shorter. Its kind of like how Varicam, when recording to tape, records a 980x720 image through turning square pixels into horizontal rectangular pixels, but the viper does it in reverse with vertical pixels, so it maintains a 1920x1080 image but at a scope aspect ratio.

If you cant get the viper I would suggest a crop.

Hi Svetlana!

I made a feature with the canon acv-235 and sony 750 this spring.

Use it is easy, the problem is to find it.

you need a accuscene finder or similar to correct for the sqeeze and upsidedown image.

Try to work with ziess digiprimes they are superior.

Andreas

We have the Canon anamorphic adapter for rental here at Abel. It's sitting on my desk in front of me. I believe it the only one in the world available for rental. Contact me offlist if you like to arrange a rental.

Hey everybody,

Thank you so much for all your input!

I will try to test the canon adapter to satisfy my own curiousity, but I will most likely end up just cropping the image because it's a multi-camera shoot.

Wish I could have the Viper!!! No luck!

Mitch, I will have the production contact you in a few weeks.

Thanks again,

Svetlana