2 perf camera in Los Angeles?

chris dye

Anyone out there know if there is a rentable 2 perf 35mm camera available in the Los Angeles area? A sync sound one is preferable, but any would be good.

What about the Penelope? Does anyone know when it will be available for rent?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi Chris, sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

I will have a rentable 2 perf sync sound camera available in about a month to 6 weeks in Los Angeles. It is a Kinor 35H (yes one of those funny Russian cameras). It is currently being modified for 2 perf by Swede Anders Banke and his Russian camera elves. While they are doing the 2 perf conversion they are also adding his quite sophisticated new electronic motor controls, resilvering the viewfinder optics and adding his video tap optics. The camera was made in about 1990 and rarely used, it was one of Anders' back up cameras. The camera has an OCT19 lens mount, and I have a full set of Lomo primes, 18mm- 300mm. The 28mm -75mm are t1.4. There is addtionally a 20-120 T2.8 Lomo zoom with 1.6x and 2.1x extenders. Obviously this is no Penelope, but neither is the rental cost. Email me if you are interested: taylorcobmw@yahoo.com

Bruce Taylor

• Premium Member

They have a 2-perf Panaflex movement that was last in the U.K. -- talk to Andy Romonoff at Panavision and see if they can get it over to Woodland Hills.

I heard that the 2-perf Arricam movements will only be available for Arri-owned rental houses -- don't know if Clairmont can get ahold of them or not when they come out next year. Probably.

They have a 2-perf Panaflex movement that was last in the U.K. -- talk to Andy Romonoff at Panavision and see if they can get it over to Woodland Hills.

I heard that the 2-perf Arricam movements will only be available for Arri-owned rental houses -- don't know if Clairmont can get ahold of them or not when they come out next year. Probably.

Hi Chris,

We have two 2 perf Panaflexes available out of the Woodland Hills office but they are currently in use on a feature. Depending on schedule you could be next... Give me a call at 818 316 2280 and let's see if we can make it happen.

Hi Brad,

Currently we have movements for the G2, Platinum and lightweight bodies. I think we may also have some Arri MOS bodies around. BTW, we also have some fabulous looking test film shot by Henner Hoffman ASC before he started a picture with these cameras. If you (or anybody thinking about shooting 2-perf) wants to see how good the format can look shooting with Primo glass please contact me to set up a screening.

Regards,

Andy

Can those movements be put into any of your cameras or are they dedicated to certain bodies, and if so, which body styles are they in?

Hey Andy,

Just curious -- what's the top frame rate on your cameras with 2-perf movements? Same as with 4-perf? In theory the reduced forces needed to drag half as much film should improve stability and vertical and lateral registration, but I wonder if the 2-perf pulldown makes much of a real world difference compared to the stability of the registration pin.

...and this is where we descend into gearhead heaven.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the info Andy. Another question...are the 2 perf movements any louder than the 3 perf or 4 perf movements? I've heard in the past that 3 perf movements are generally louder than 4 perf movements (those comments were in reference to Arri), which would suggest that maybe the same is true with 2 perf. Is this true with Panavision movements, and does it get worse with 2 perf?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Andy,

Just curious -- what's the top frame rate on your cameras with 2-perf movements? Same as with 4-perf? In theory the reduced forces needed to drag half as much film should improve stability and vertical and lateral registration, but I wonder if the 2-perf pulldown makes much of a real world difference compared to the stability of the registration pin.

...and this is where we descend into gearhead heaven.

Hi Mitch,

Sorry to be so long getting back. The 2 perf cameras run at the same frame rates as the 4 perf.

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy. Another question...are the 2 perf movements any louder than the 3 perf or 4 perf movements? I've heard in the past that 3 perf movements are generally louder than 4 perf movements (those comments were in reference to Arri), which would suggest that maybe the same is true with 2 perf. Is this true with Panavision movements, and does it get worse with 2 perf?

Hi Brad,

Sorry to be so slow to reply, I've been away for a few days :D

Although we haven't had the cameras in the test chamber yet I can tell you they are very quiet. When we get them back I will set up a test and let you know.

Regards,

Andy