Sharp Digital Frame rate

Does anyone know how to smooth out the the sharpness in the movement when shooting digitally. It's just too choppy. For example, if you're shooting a helicpoter, it's blades would look more as if a strobe light was on them as opposed to a nice blur as film would do. Or even when a person is moving their arms fast. I know digital is not film, but can it be lessened a bit.

Thanks,

Enrique

Does anyone know how to smooth out the the sharpness in the movement when shooting digitally. It's just too choppy. For example, if you're shooting a helicpoter, it's blades would look more as if a strobe light was on them as opposed to a nice blur as film would do. Or even when a person is moving their arms fast. I know digital is not film, but can it be lessened a bit.

Thanks,

Enrique

Wouldn't this just be an issue of setting the camera to a slower shutter speed?

• Premium Member

It sounds like you're shooting at a high shutter speed. If you've got the camera in automatic, a lot of them use shutter speed to regulate exposure - and if you're aiming at the sky, it's liable to be fairly well shut down.

Otherwise, if you're just shooting normal 50 or 60i PAL or NTSC video, interlaced, then you should be aware that each field has half the effective shutter period of the whole frame - so you lose out there.

A 24p video camera with 1/48 shutter should have almost exactly the same motion rendering as a film camera.

Phil