Sun set effect

Hi

I need to insert a realistic, magnificent sunset behind an actor on a locked off shot in my upcoming movie. Has anybody had any experience with computer generated sunsets? Would it be better to completely computer generate the sunset or should I find a sunset and composite that behind the actor? The effect should look alot like the shot in ET where the kids fly past the sunset in silouhette. Thanks

Hi

I need to insert a realistic, magnificent sunset behind an actor on a locked off shot in my upcoming movie. Has anybody had any experience with computer generated sunsets? Would it be better to completely computer generate the sunset or should I find a sunset and composite that behind the actor? The effect should look alot like the shot in ET where the kids fly past the sunset in silouhette. Thanks

There is a number of ways to film this, personally I have my own methods that differ each time based on the shot.

If you want you can film it on a bright cloudy day, and add it all in via After Effects.

watch this and see how easy it is to replace the sky.

http://videocopilot.net/videotutorials/advsky/index.htm

How could I shoot an ordinary sunset to make it look gigantic. I'm looking to have the sun turn into a ball that is pretty big, but still looks natural. I tried some tests with my digital slr and overexposing doesn't get the desired effect. For the actual shot I am using 50d 16mm film. Thankyou.

How could I shoot an ordinary sunset to make it look gigantic. I'm looking to have the sun turn into a ball that is pretty big, but still looks natural. I tried some tests with my digital slr and overexposing doesn't get the desired effect. For the actual shot I am using 50d 16mm film. Thankyou.

Use a rather long lens. The sun is 1/2 degree in diameter.

Then you'll need a long lens for the foreground element so the two match.

Use a rather long lens. The sun is 1/2 degree in diameter.

Then you'll need a long lens for the foreground element so the two match.

Depending on how much compositing or matte painting work is going here, it's not a requirement that the lenses match. Obviously the sky plate needs to match the FG (if the FG is being shot separate on a greenscreen), but if the effect is for a giant sun to be composited into the shot, then shooting the sun on a longer lens to fill frame and then rescaling it to the fit the shot isn't going to a problem.

http://www.artbeats.com/prod/product.php?pg=1&id=239

These guys are good. I have this set. You could combine the after effects idea with stock footage. Just depends on what look you want.

How much of the frame you want the sun to take up?

I would shoot it then combine if you have time. Original is much mo' better