focus sort of effect

I saw a music video for rihanna, the new umbrella one.

in one of the first set ups there is a really cool effect where the camera looks like it is going in and out of focus, but really roughly and shaky, almost like the films is running unsmoothly thru the gate. I've seen it in other things as well... Its also in the end of danny boyles new movie Sunshine...

does anyone know how to do this or what special equipment might be needed?

thanks a bunch

odin

• Premium Member
I saw a music video for rihanna, the new umbrella one.

in one of the first set ups there is a really cool effect where the camera looks like it is going in and out of focus, but really roughly and shaky, almost like the films is running unsmoothly thru the gate. I've seen it in other things as well... Its also in the end of danny boyles new movie Sunshine...

does anyone know how to do this or what special equipment might be needed?

thanks a bunch

odin

I know you can do that kind of thing with panavision's Hylen system. My bet is either that or a post effect. It's hard to tell which it really is.

• Premium Member
I'm not sure, but I know a similar effect can be acheived unlocking the lens mount and holding the lens and shaking it.

Very true. I bet that's it as quick as it happens.

• Premium Member
I'm not sure, but I know a similar effect can be acheived unlocking the lens mount and holding the lens and shaking it.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it, and what I would do if I had to shoot it. You can try out the effect yourself if you have an SLR still camera.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it, and what I would do if I had to shoot it. You can try out the effect yourself if you have an SLR still camera.

It's easier to re-create then that.

Use after effects, add a new camera to your composition, click the tab entitled (enable depth-of-field) and then play with the focus and add key frames.

Also to get the shake, use After Effects, Alt-Click on the position key-frame-stop-watch, under the layer that you have your footage, and type wiggle(3,80)

Not really those exact numbers, but that is how you can create all of that in after effects, with expressions.

• Premium Member
It's easier to re-create then that.

Use after effects, add a new camera to your composition, click the tab entitled (enable depth-of-field) and then play with the focus and add key frames.

Also to get the shake, use After Effects, Alt-Click on the position key-frame-stop-watch, under the layer that you have your footage, and type wiggle(3,80)

Not really those exact numbers, but that is how you can create all of that in after effects, with expressions.

So doing it inafter effects is simpler than loosening a lens mount and wiggling the lens? I'd MUCH rather do it in camera.

Well it is easier doing it in camera, you could do a simple in-n-out of focus trick in comp, but without roto/keying or any depth information you'd be constraining the effect to just a 2D image.

In-camera you'd get different depths of the image going in and out of focus. In comp you'd have more control, but it's likely you'd lose some of the 'chaos' that occurs in real life.

• Premium Member
Well it is easier doing it in camera, you could do a simple in-n-out of focus trick in comp, but without roto/keying or any depth information you'd be constraining the effect to just a 2D image.

In-camera you'd get different depths of the image going in and out of focus. In comp you'd have more control, but it's likely you'd lose some of the 'chaos' that occurs in real life.

That kind of effect is no fun if it's too planned. It often looks too planned and controlled if it's not done well, too.

If one was to do this sort of thing in post, I'd highly advise against using After Effects for it- the DoF blur is quite primitive (it's actually just a box blur, unless they've updated it in the latest release). Much better to use a more advanced package such as Shake or Nuke, or some sort of specialized plugin.

Edited by Scott Fritzshall