Investment returns

Hi. This will be my first time dealing with investors for my film. What I'm confused about is how to structure the set-up for returns should my film be profitable. Is there some sort of standard set-up and percentages that people tend to stick to, or is it just whatever terms I can negotiate with my investors?

I've also read that there are certain legal requirements when it comes to taking investors, but I'm not familiar with them. If anyone could offer advice here or direct me to where I can find good info on this I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by Stephen Boss

• 2 weeks later...

contact a tax attorney or an entertainment attorney. They will help you and protect you. beware and get one that is recommended by people you know and trust. I had friends pay exorbinant $$ to attorneys and get very little in return. but I have friends that have had very suetsdwdccessful relationships with entertainment attorneys and gotten out of sticky widgets. check out some of the film law books out there.

basically you form a corporation in the name of the film. the investors are boardmembers and have it all on paper as far as return and dates of return. payments and percentages and all that stuff.