Buying a Camera

Merlyn Haycraft

Hey all,

I am currently weighing up my options about which HDV or HD camera to buy for documentary and low budget feature film making. My budget is approximately $8000 and I am lost as to whether to go for something like the Panasonic P2 AG-HVX200 or get a very good HDV camera.

My main qualm with the AG-HVX200 is you can't change the lens. Apart from that it seems very good.

So my question is: Could anyone please tell me which is the best camera for that kind of money ($8000) in terms or resolution, colour and lenses?

And are there any other new cheap HD cameras to soon be released?

And is HDV just a pain in the arse and a waste of time?

Thanks,

Merlyn

Merlyn..

the answer is simple.. HD is more than HDV .

Lens is a problem , but also is a hook for those who have a kind of indecision. the industry is no focused in develop 1/3 ccc lenses for a couple of specific cameras.. because of that 35 mm adapter are so popular.

Take your time,, check the technical specifications and check image test and finally take a choice.

Good luck

Rodrigo

• Premium Member
Hey all,

I am currently weighing up my options about which HDV or HD camera to buy for documentary and low budget feature film making. My budget is approximately $8000 and I am lost as to whether to go for something like the Panasonic P2 AG-HVX200 or get a very good HDV camera.

My main qualm with the AG-HVX200 is you can't change the lens. Apart from that it seems very good.

So my question is: Could anyone please tell me which is the best camera for that kind of money ($8000) in terms or resolution, colour and lenses?

And are there any other new cheap HD cameras to soon be released?

And is HDV just a pain in the arse and a waste of time?

Thanks,

Merlyn

I was hung up on the same question. I pondered...but I am so glad that I bought the HVX-200!

It's great and no HDV nonsense. Also, it's 4:2:2 color sampling is superior to many HDV

cameras.

You shoot and light right and you'll be happy. With the bigger P2 cards coming out, and the

ability to delete takes you know you won't use, and no capturing time, you'll do great with the

stock lens and occasionally if you want get an adaptor for a particular project.