The French Flag

I believe that for a very long time the C-stands and large flags so common in US production were not used in France. Everything was on light stands and to block light from hitting the lens a small flag on an articulating arm was mounted directly to the camera. This became known as a French Flag. Sorry that I don't have any historical documentation.

Interestingly enough, Chrosziel mislabels a part of their matteboxes as a French Flag. A hinged panel that mounts directly to the top of the front of a mattebox should be referred to as an Eyebrow, not a French Flag.

• Premium Member
I believe that for a very long time the C-stands and large flags so common in US production were not used in France. Everything was on light stands and to block light from hitting the lens a small flag on an articulating arm was mounted directly to the camera.

Still the case, most of the time. The french flag is part of the AC's tools. Don't need any gaffer to shade the lens... Would like to know also for letter and kiss, BTW... :rolleyes: