dimmer

• Premium Member

My electrician friend recommends this company:

http://www.menorahinc.com/index.htm

They sell to professional electricians, and carry a lot more items than a big box home improvement store. 1K and 2K dimmers are a much lower volume item than the typical 600 Watt household dimmer, so be prepared for much higher prices, like ten times or so.

-- J.S.

As a rental, MagaicGadget's Shadowmaker is a great idea but to purchase, it's expensive. A 1K and 2K Variacs costs about $60 and $100, respectively. MagicGadget costs from $400 to $1300 depending on which version you get. It's true you can do so much more and if you have the money, it's a significantly better utility to have but you have to have the money.

• Premium Member

The Magic Gadgets quick dimmers are just a few hundred dollars though, and are much more compact than a Variac. Granted, they are electronic, but they are very robust little units and very easy to add to a kit.

The Shadowmakers are marvelous boxes for all sorts of very nice flicker effects, but I rent those rather than buy them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the MagicGadget products - I have one (sometimes several) on just about every show. But I also know that when you're starting out, it's often about quantity more than quality. Two to four 1K Variacs go a long way and of course, for the about the same cost you can make your own. It's about choices. If you have a rental house close by, you could buy (or make) some dimmers and rent a MagicGadget as need.

As a rental, MagaicGadget's Shadowmaker is a great idea but to purchase, it's expensive. A 1K and 2K Variacs costs about $60 and $100, respectively. MagicGadget costs from $400 to $1300 depending on which version you get. It's true you can do so much more and if you have the money, it's a significantly better utility to have but you have to have the money.

I agree....variacs are definitely the way to go on a beginners budget. Or you can always make them...