Boiler room.

• Premium Member

Hey Gang,

The county's power cooperative is coming out to hang a new transformer on my pole and hook up the 400 amp feed lines. I needed an additional 200 amps to run my boiler room (computer room). I'm rigging up eight computers in this -once-upon-a-time-was-a-rec-room. That gives me one computer for each of these categories: Maya, After Effects, Premiere, SFX, music, dialogue and loops, 4K and 2K scans from 35mm, 4K and 2K records to 35mm. With two, old-school, high-res CRTs on three of the computers and two, medium res CRTs on each of the rest, the room will eat a heck of a lot of those 200 amps. The rest will go into the AC unit I'll have to install to compensate for all that heat made by a room full of computers. I guess this ought to cut anything that comes down the pike. What do you think?

• Premium Member
Hey Gang,

The county's power cooperative is coming out to hang a new transformer on my pole and hook up the 400 amp feed lines. I needed an additional 200 amps to run my boiler room (computer room). I'm rigging up eight computers in this -once-upon-a-time-was-a-rec-room. That gives me one computer for each of these categories: Maya, After Effects, Premiere, SFX, music, dialogue and loops, 4K and 2K scans from 35mm, 4K and 2K records to 35mm. With two, old-school, high-res CRTs on three of the computers and two, medium res CRTs on each of the rest, the room will eat a heck of a lot of those 200 amps. The rest will go into the AC unit I'll have to install to compensate for all that heat made by a room full of computers. I guess this ought to cut anything that comes down the pike. What do you think?

Hello Paul,

This probably belongs in the off-topic area but...............

My Home Theater has 80 amps of 120v for audio and 20 amps of 120v for the two projectors. 50 amps of 220v take care of the HVAC.

If you are doing a clean new wire of your room you may want to look at a commercial UPS system for cleaner power and back up.

They can be picked up refurbished at bargain prices.

Cheers,

Marc