Things we lost in the fire

andrew heggli

For those who haven't seen the trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/t...ire/medium.html

I was just wondering why this film looks so... different... Most movies on cinema these days are looking (or at least trying to look) real "crisp" and clean. Why doesn't this one look like that? (not asking why the film makers did it this way, i'm wondering HOW they did it that way).

Peace

Andrew

Well, one thing I immediately noticed was the relative absence of full black in the shadows and a fair amount of compression-ey artifact/banding sorta thing here and there ...

You'll find these on many a trailer - one recent example I remember is the HD trailer for Sunshine - compressed the crap out of it, very disappointing, but nice on screen in an anamorphic projection - Anyhoo, so compression will cause unconscious impressions for those people not used to analyzing a pic so intently ...

I'll assume you are aware of them and ask what exactly is it that you are referring to ? any examples like: look at the lack of _____ or the extreme _____ on the upper left of frame # so and so ?

Thanks for the reply!

ok, in the first fadein frame we see benicios face to the right of the frame, as you said, theres really no full black, if you look to the left (the dark space in the image) its not really black, since i'm better at still photographer i'd say they might put the ISO levels very slightly too high up or something. And basically throughout the rest of the trailer, the colours are very... bland... they're not the same sharp high contrasty colours many films today have. Those are the two main things i think that made me react to the trailer looking different.