Extremely High Frame Rate Examples

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Hello all,

Every few months a question with regard to working at very high frame rates (500 to 1000fps) comes up.

Elhanan Matos (who posts on here some) and myself started a company a while ago that specializes in high speed photography. We just put up a rough version of our reel on our site. Every shot was either 500 or 1000 fps with a 90 to 360 degree shutter depending on the shot. All the shots were done on the Phantom HD (from Dalsa) with Coke S4 lenses (for the most part).

It can be seen at: http://www.studiobattlerattle.com. It is currently in the flash video format, so excuse the quality (though it is decent for the file size), a Quicktime and WMV version will be up shortly.

If there are questions or comments, shoot away.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

That is very cool stuff.

I have a somewhat related question. Is the clear "water" in a lot of those shots really water? It's so crystal clear as to make me wonder if it's perhaps mineral oil, or distilled water? I'm wondering if there a trick to getting such crystal clear water.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member

Thanks Brad & Chris. The music was all Elhanan (as was the editing).

Shots that were supposed to be water were just water, nothing special. Shooting liquids at 1000fps tends to make the liquid appear to have more viscosity. Its all about lighting to make it seem "crystal" clear.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
Thanks Brad & Chris. The music was all Elhanan (as was the editing).

Shots that were supposed to be water were just water, nothing special. Shooting liquids at 1000fps tends to make the liquid appear to have more viscosity. Its all about lighting to make it seem "crystal" clear.

Kevin Zanit

Got it. Well done. You're doing a lot of things I would love to learn.

• Premium Member

Thanks all.

We recorded RAW, just using the SDI out for monitor (24" LCD). A viewfinder, thats a nice idea ;) We just used an on board, but with the amount of light scattering around on a high speed shoot, a viewfinder is a good thing.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I've tried to do something similar before and I found that using distilled water made my life much easier. It makes fewer bubbles. Should you find yourself needing a loader or someone to watch intently, call me :lol:

• Premium Member

Do I watch you intently or do you watch me :lol: Me watching someone intently is always a bit creepy, and has really been the root cause of much of my legal trouble ;)

Really good point with the distilled water, I completely forgot to add that all the water was distilled water, especially in the water tank stuff.

It was a big challenge keeping the tank clean, without bubbles forming on the sides of the glass in the tank.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
Do I watch you intently or do you watch me :lol: Me watching someone intently is always a bit creepy, and has really been the root cause of much of my legal trouble ;)

Really good point with the distilled water, I completely forgot to add that all the water was distilled water, especially in the water tank stuff.

It was a big challenge keeping the tank clean, without bubbles forming on the sides of the glass in the tank.

Kevin Zanit

I meant me watch the work intently, but that's why I should keep my mouth shut more often.

• Premium Member

Thanks, I think the blue stuff is my favorite as well.

I knew what you meant Chris, I was just being a smart ass ;). I will def. let you know if I need someone, especially if I am working out your way

• Premium Member
Thanks, I think the blue stuff is my favorite as well.

I knew what you meant Chris, I was just being a smart ass ;). I will def. let you know if I need someone, especially if I am working out your way

I would love some continuing education. I'm moving to LA next week so it might even happen sometime. Take it easy.

• 1 month later...

Hey kev I'm trying to think of the logistics of this.. if its 500fps or 1000fps how big is the mag and how long are you filming for. I've never heard anything bigger than 1000 ft roll or is that just enough to get the shot.

Chris Walters

By the way that music video shoot looked awesome but that wrap sucked hard!

• Premium Member

Thanks guys,

Chris: You kicked ass on that video, it was a huge setup! As for film length, all this stuff was shot with an HD camera, so there was no film. Photosonics film cameras take a 1000' load, and burn through it in one take when you account for the coming up to speed and coming back down to zero.

They do make film loads in 2000' lengths, though I have not seen them in a long long time. They were used a lot on sitcom type shows for the extra run time. I remember trying to load one of those mags in a changing tent; it worked, but it was really really tight.

Kevin Zanit

Really impressed, Kevin. Looks great. I've always had a liking for high speed, I mean who doesn't right? haha.

My question is how you lit those water droplets so well? In that how did you have it so dark but when the droplet hits it glows? Looked great. I'd like to be there to see some of that go down.

Ever need help with anything, I'm a film student near LA so I'm really looking for things to go after. Great job!

-Jeff