my Reel

• Premium Member

Stick with your strongest compositions, and let go of the subjects. There are too many closeups of faces, many of which don't say anything about your photographic style. Look again at your shots as shots, not subjects.

I first watched the reel with no sound, which is how many people will likely screen it. The edit has to hold up visually on its own, not just as a music montage. When you look at it that way, repetitive shots or shots that last too long really stand out and drag down the impact of the reel.

Cut out the flatly lit shots, like the woman's face right before the teddy bear. Cut out the teddy bear CU -- it's not necessary, since the CU of the woman hugging the bear shows it.

Cut out the front lit shot of the kid running through the field near the end. We've already seen him and the shot isn't as good looking as what we've already seen. I know you probably used it for the energy and movement to cut with shot of the woman running in the opposite screen direction, but the shot itself just isn't that strong and drags down the impact.

I would open with the shot looking up at the kids through the water. It's the strongest shot in the current edit.

Good work, especially for the commercials shots .I agree with :" There are too many closeups of faces, many of which don't say anything about your photographic style. "

p.s : si tu as besoin d'un assistant , tiens moi au courant , je viens moi aussi d'uploader ma demo .

Thanks again for your comments :

andrew

the stock used in the opening is 5205 and the face a minus one stop there is no color corections.

the tune is "que sera" from (another computer than the one i'm typing) i'll look for it

Micheal thanks verry much for your coments, i agree with you.

i did a first version less dynamic but with more compositions and longer movements but it was hard to edit : i'm mixing diferents formats 1:66 1:85 2:35 and comercials in 1:33

it's already a lot of compromises.

Do you think it should be less long and less music video editing style?

i'll see what i can do

Pascal

some very nice images pascal and it's hard as well to mix a doco with drama on a reel

• Premium Member
Do you think it should be less long and less music video editing style?

Well it is a montage, so it needs to be edited as one. But just remember it's a portfolio first, and a music video second. Don't put shots in for the sake of the edit that weaken the portfolio.

As for length, let the material dictate that. Edit the song down if you have to.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work on the commercials! The only thing I have a problem with is that the people are throwing soda bottles around...who does that? Still, very nice work.

The mobile commercial looked excellent, there was a flying shot of the girl on the cliff that seemed a little jerky though :/ But the desert shot, where you're craning up to show the actor's feet, that's a gorgeous one.

Now, your demo reel. Is that just your operator's reel or your DP reel?