FCP - outputting to DVD

Michael Nash

• Premium Member

I'm very new to FCP (5.1.4), and I'm having trouble making a DVD with the right playback cadence. I'm sure the problem is just my learning curve with the system.

I shot a project with a DVX100 in 24P"A" mode. I've captured the footage with "remove pulldown" and created a 24P timeline, no problem. Now I'm trying to output the sequence to DVD, and I'm running into problems. Exporting straight into iDVD works, but the DVD playback has a noticeable stutter instead of the smooth 3:2 pulldown playabck you would expect. I'm guessing that iDVD won't create a 24P DVD and is applying a different pulldown pattern to create 60i.

Other attempts to create 29.97 QT files all result in a similar stuttering playback. Frame by frame analysis shows that frame 4 is repeated for frame 5, which doesn't appear the same as 3:2. I've checked "playback preferences" for the right pulldown, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the export of files.

I know that Compressor and DVD Studio Pro are better applications for creating proper playback, but I'm still weeding through the manuals learning how to use them. I'll keep at it.

In the meantime, is there something obvious I'm overlooking or a simple way I can create either a 24P DVD, or a 60i DVD with the proper 3:2 cadence?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

• Premium Member

Well I think I've worked it out. In FCP FILE>EXPORT>USING COMPRESSOR. In compressor select the setting MPEG-2, and open the inspector. Select the frame rate 23.98, not 29.97. Also select an audio setting, and batch both those files. Then you can import these as assets into DVD Studio Pro -- which is a whole 'nother beast to learn.

But if anyone one knows of a quicker/easier way to create a 24P DVD from a 24P timeline, or create a 60i DVD with the proper pulldown, I'd love to hear it...

• Premium Member
Well I think I've worked it out. In FCP FILE>EXPORT>USING COMPRESSOR. In compressor select the setting MPEG-2, and open the inspector. Select the frame rate 23.98, not 29.97. Also select an audio setting, and batch both those files. Then you can import these as assets into DVD Studio Pro -- which is a whole 'nother beast to learn.

But if anyone one knows of a quicker/easier way to create a 24P DVD from a 24P timeline, or create a 60i DVD with the proper pulldown, I'd love to hear it...

Michael,

you are doing this the right way, if you want to create an ultra smooth NTSC then you should remap the time with shake, or motion (both have optical flow) or AE. but even after that you would use compressor to turn it into mpeg. and dvd studio pro isn't as scary as it looks!

keith