Camera advice - Eclair ACL vs. Aaton 54

Thomas Nerling

Looking for some advice. I am looking to set myself with an economical S16 kit for a series of film projects.

I am torn by an Eclair ACL II, R16, which I would need to service, convert, require a lense. It is on ebay and is on another continent.

I have also found an Aaton 54 which is obviously a lot more money, but after you cost in the conversion, lense, etc of the Eclair is not that much more.

So the Aaton is more up front, but ready to shoot.

Would I find the Eclair that much harder to service, get parts, etc? What about depreciation?

Looking for some advice. I am looking to set myself with an economical S16 kit for a series of film projects.

I am torn by an Eclair ACL II, R16, which I would need to service, convert, require a lense. It is on ebay and is on another continent.

I have also found an Aaton 54 which is obviously a lot more money, but after you cost in the conversion, lense, etc of the Eclair is not that much more.

So the Aaton is more up front, but ready to shoot.

Would I find the Eclair that much harder to service, get parts, etc? What about depreciation?

Hi,

There seems to be more and more off the wall questions on this valuable site. How can anyone be torn between an Eclair ACLII and an R16 for S16 conversion?

Regards,

Marc.

The Eclair ACL was essentially the predecessor to the Aaton, as the design team left Eclair to start Aaton. All the lessons learned on the ACL were put into the Aaton. Better viewing system, more reliable mag mounting, much sturdier motor drive, on and on. Nothing against the ACL, but it really can't compete with the Aaton. At anything close to the same price I'd jump on the LTR.

The Eclair ACL was essentially the predecessor to the Aaton, as the design team left Eclair to start Aaton. All the lessons learned on the ACL were put into the Aaton. Better viewing system, more reliable mag mounting, much sturdier motor drive, on and on. Nothing against the ACL, but it really can't compete with the Aaton. At anything close to the same price I'd jump on the LTR.

Mitch,

Thanks. That's the kind of advice I was looking for. Not anywhere near the same cost to begin with but by the time you pay for conversion, lenses, etc....

Thomas

• Premium Member

I would agree with what's been said about the advantages of the Aaton over the ACL except for one item. The Eclair lens mount. You're pretty much tied to using Aaton and Arri bayonet lenses with the Aaton. On the ACL you can use Eclair, Arri std or bayonet, PL, and all of the Nikon 35mm lenses. You can also use c mount lenses --Schneider etc.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I am looking at some Aaton's without lenses so the fact that I am limited to lenses with Aaton or Arri bayonet mounts is something to factor in.

Nikon lenses can also be used on a camera with the Aaton mount, just use the correct adapter. If you want to use PL lenses you can get your camera converted. As you´re planning on using it on low budget projects I´m guessing PL mount lenses are out of question, plenty of good glass are still out there in Aaton and Arri Bayonet mount.