My First Feature...Trailer

Hey everyone. Below is the link to a trailer of my first feature. Shot with an extremely lo/no budget. The director and producer are still looking for distribution so if you know anyone, hint hint...I'm just looking for honest reactions to the cinematography.

Thanks!

http://www.newphilms.com/untitled/trailer.asp

Looks well shot.

AFM is in Nov, that would be the place to sell it.

One thing I should point out is that B&W is usually the death blow for any distribution. B&W movies just don't sell, unless you're Steven Spielberg and it's Shindlers List.

But typically B&W should be avoided.

R,

The producers fought the director the entire time but the battle was already over by the time I came on board. Given the limited resources and the equipment available it did help some with lighting requirements. The director really wanted a feel of 16mm B&W. As far as I'm concerned it's neat having something in B&W on my reel! Thanks for the words/tips I'll check out the AFM...

Wow. I thought that looked really amazing. The dolly shots were composed really well, as well as the rest of the shots.

If I can say one thing though, the first shot of the gun pulling out of the drawer, seemed a bit flat for the opening of a trailer. This is probably just a poor opinion, but it didn't seem as impressive as the other shots. Maybe harder more dramatic light would of looked cool, and if the tv remote was gone. Being only 16 myself, I don't mean to be a critic or pretend that I know what looks better or not, but it's just a thought.

Otherwise, the trailer was great, and I have to agree: shooting in B&W makes lighting seem a bit easier. Great looking stuff.

Thanks for the words of advice Spencer. In regards to the opening shot I did not edit this trailer so I can speak of the shot choice. The lighting was daytime/natural (was supplemented but that was the look we were going for) We tried to avoid making the film look to noir-ish since it already was black and white.

I like the look of the trailer, having just watched Eraserhead for the first time,so I have more of an appreciation for B&W and are eager to shoot something in B&W as it looks so good visually. Looks like a good movie in the making! Too bad you are not in the San Francisco area, I would love to help out in some way! Great work, keep it up!

-pete

Thanks for the words of advice Spencer. In regards to the opening shot I did not edit this trailer so I can speak of the shot choice. The lighting was daytime/natural (was supplemented but that was the look we were going for) We tried to avoid making the film look to noir-ish since it already was black and white.

Haha, good point about avoiding the noir-ish look. Also, viewing it in context, that was very well done. Any plans for a second feature? :)

Haha, good point about avoiding the noir-ish look. Also, viewing it in context, that was very well done. Any plans for a second feature? :)

Looks very good. I agree on the opening shot being m least favorite. Everything else had a certain moodyness that I liked, whereas that shot lacked it.

Pete, maybe on the next one man. We shot that nearly 2 years ago. I'm in LA now and the director is moving here within the month though! Also, thanks everyone for the comments about the handgun. I'd pass it around to the director/editor but since this is the 3rd version since we shot the movie I'm not sure how many re-edits he's got left in him, lol.

It's premiering at the Central Florida FIlm Festival with a Q&A afterwards. We shot this movie for an incredibly low budget...I'll put it this way, the insurance was the biggest line item in the budget. With that in mind he has also created a 90 minute behind the scenes making of video that focuses on independent film-making. We are thinking of packaging it together to help sell the movie. What do you guys think?

Thanks!