Charging Batteries?

• Premium Member
A long time ago, I heard that it was bad to charge batteries on the ground (for some cockamamie reason.) Was wondering if there was any truth to it.

J. Soren Viuf

Not true at all, assuming the ground is dry and not cold. Either wetness or cold are generally not good for batteries.

• Premium Member
A long time ago, I heard that it was bad to charge batteries on the ground (for some cockamamie reason.) Was wondering if there was any truth to it.

J. Soren Viuf

I sure hope not! I have two chargers full of batteries charging right next to me on the ground right now!

• 1 month later...

Provided the batteries have good ventilation, and are being charged in a dry indoor spot at a reasonable temperature, there's nothing wrong with having them on the ground. If you had batteries charging on a cold grassy field in the middle of winter, that would be dangerous - but also against all common sense.

• Premium Member

Actually, I think this "cockamamie" story came from the automotive trade. It is in fact true in the following situation: If placed on damp ground or concrete, a dirty lead acid battery case (like from a car or truck) can literally leak voltage from the terminals to the "ground"- both physical and potentially electrical. Other than the temprature issue I don't see how this could affect any batteries used for cameras.

Bruce