Z1 in extreme environment ?

Matt Mouraud

Hi ! I'm about to leave for Columbia for an in-depth report in the jungle. Full size camera is not an option, and I'm still hesitating between the HVX200 and the Z1. Picture quality not that much an issue here, just looking for the camera that will not let me down because of a very unfriendly environment. I know the DVX100 has done wonders in Irak, but Mini-DV is not an option here, where 720p is a requirement.

We have the possibility of having an almost unlimited supply of 16gb cards so this is not a problem.

Looking forward to hear from those of you who have been in harsh environment with the Z1 and their feedback. Pixel-peepers and couch reporters not allowed ! ;)

I'm posting the same message on the HVX section.

Well, I've used a Z1U for 10 hours straight during a shoot in Las Vegas. So, heat, sand, sweat, etc. didn't hurt it any. We had a bigger issue of keeping the microphones clean and had to replace a couple UV filters, but the camera worked perfectly. Out of all 6 tapes, not a single dropped frame or error. We used the PHDVM-63DM tapes.

-Scott

P.S. Also shot 6 hours in the rain for a documetary. Again, no problems at all with humidity. I even had one of the rain covers leak and got the buttons on the top wet. It's been 5 months since then and no problems. Again, all tapes were perfect.

Edited by shoodogg

For 720P other the option would be the JVC cameras.

This is true if you are required to capture in 720p. But if you only have to deliver in 720p, shooting in 1080i and then rendering out to 720p will look just as good if not better than 720p. The only real advantage with the JVC units would be interchangeable lenses.

-Scott

This is true if you are required to capture in 720p. But if you only have to deliver in 720p, shooting in 1080i and then rendering out to 720p will look just as good if not better than 720p. The only real advantage with the JVC units would be interchangeable lenses.

-Scott

In any tests I've seen the JVCs come ahead of the Z1 in resolution. The XL H1 would be the better 1080i camera.

I'd go for whatever camera suits the type work you're planning and fits into your post workflow.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, a quick update on the shooting. The camera has been performing very well, and I adjusted to it very easily. There are still a few annoying little things, but no big deal.

In a totally saturated environment (jungle, 100% humidity), it has been performing flawlessly. A quick check on the tape back at base camp shows a nice picture. Being a reporter and not a pixel (or line) peeper, I will leave the technical aspects to those who feel like it.

The second part of the shooting takes us to the barrios of Cali, with intense heat, occasionnal t-storms and street shootings.

For the sound, I'm a using a Senn 416 and two Audio Limited with Sanken capsules. It just bothers me that I cannot mix the 416 with the built-in mic.... Any idea ?

Oh and when I wrote 720p is a requirement, I meant at leadt 720p...

Edited by Matt Mouraud