I'm going to buy a HVX200 What do I need to know?

jakekjohnson

I'm planning on purchasing an HVX200 in the next month. I want to use it to shoot in 720p/24 frames.

How well does a Firestore FS-100 work for this? I heard that it has trouble with 24p video.

Also, where is the best place to purchase the HVX? There is one place near my house that sells them. But would I get a better deal online, and at which website?

So I guess my question is:

HVX200-where to buy

and

Firestore or P2 cards?

And anything else I would need to know before buying would be greatly appreciated.

btw- I will be editing on my G5 MacPro tower with Final Cut Studio(soon to be Studio 2).

Thanks for helping me out with this.

-Jake

Hi Jake,

I would buy from a local dealer and maybe ask for a better price. If you choose to order via the internet, go through BH Photo, or Specialized Communications, or other AUTHORIZED Panasonic reputable dealer. (if you are in the U.S.)

If the price is too good to be true, it is, avoid questionable stores.

As for the firestore/P2 question, it really depends what you plan on shooting with the cam. But with a 16GB card, you can do 40 minutes of 720P/24N. With 32GB you can shoot 80 minutes! I personally love the P2 cards. Also there is no moving parts and its simpler than firestore.

Editing the DVCPROHD footage is a snap in Final Cut Pro. I use a 1.6 g5 and it works great!

-pete

Thank you, Pete.

I have read some more on the forum about the Firestore, and it seems like I should go with the P2 cards.

But then, how do I get the cards onto my computer?

I will be shooting away from home, and my Mac has to stay behind.

I saw a few P2 card drives on the net. Do these act as hard drives that download and then wipe your card, and then would connect to my Mac at the end of the day?

If you want to connect to a G5 tower, just hook up the firewire cable from camera to computer and transfer. If you need to unload P2 cards in the field, just get a used PMCIA card slot enabled powerbook. I use a Powerbook G4 1.5ghz / 60 gig hard drive - and it works great!

Or just get any new mac laptop and just hook up via firewire cable from the HVX.

And yes, the P2 cards are just like a hard drive but much faster and without any moving parts. You record on them, transfer data, and erase (back in the camera preferably)

-pete

The most efficient way would be to run a firewire cable from the HVX to the mac. You can get a used powerbook g4 for less than a 1000$ u.s. plus it serves other purposes, like quick editing or access to web etc.. the P2 drive/store just does one thing. Also with the prices of the 16GB cards, I would worry less about external storage for offloading the cards. Just get two 16GB and you'll be set for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

i traded in an old powerbook g4 here...the have a warehouse full of used macs, i've actually been there...i traded two dual g4's and the powerbook for a dual G5 1.8 ghz. it's been rendering away without a problem for probably 6 months now...

www.macofalltrades.com

now i wish i hadn't as i have settled on the hvx as my camera of choice...doh!