MY FIRST MUSIC VIDEO

Hey there guys,

So here I am again, asking for advice. I´m currently on pre-production of a hip-hop/R&B music video that I´ll be DP´ing and Directing AND Editing. I have a Sony HDV (FX1) and Sony Vegas HD. I also have access to a Dance Club during the afternoon (before they open to the public, obviously) and access to a medium house out of the city with a small swimming pool with nice green grass around it and view to the mountains. I might be able to get some cool cars as well.

The references are these:

Paul Wall - I´m throwed

Daddy Yankee feat. Snoop Dogg - Gangsta Zone

I need advice on how to keep it simple and cool. Should I even rent a 5000 ? One 2000, four 1000´s and a couple 650 would be enough? They would be Desisti´s by the way. I´ll bring flags, diffusion, CTO´s and CTB´s.

Those 2 locations I mentioned would be the only ones. We might shoot inside the house, like a party.

Lemme know if you need more info, I NEED HELP.

Thanks guys,

Jorge Espinosa

Any thoughts about what to avoid ? Do you guys remember your first call as a DOP ? I don´t expect you guys to tell me how to light it, just a couple tips as to how to let the shooting be as pleasant as possible, since it is a low budget music video, i won´t have a crew, just a couple friends helping me as Grips.

Cheers,

Jorge Espinosa

• 2 weeks later...

The Daddy Yankee video was shot on a 435 arri mostly handheld. Outdoors on Torres de Sabana housing projects.I cant remember the kodak emulsion but nothing indoors or in a club.If you want to shoot indoors in a club you might want tungsten lighting and if the pool is at night then you could use the same lights but if your shooting during the day then you need hmi's.In the club youll need your lenses to be fast,also scout the club take your meter get some readings of the available.A 5k might be too much as for the need of power (generator$operator$)you could stick with 2k tungsten and plug to the wall unless you have a nice budget.I shot a music video at 1.3T in a club how fast is your camera?.Depending on the size i rather take 2 -2k,2-1k,4-dedo,kino's-4x4's parabeam or diva,kameo.take some colored gels put on a 1k and just move around your actors great club effect.

i look at the clips

use big soft source you can take the 5k punch it thru 12*12 or 8*8 light grid as side light and from the other side same back light

if you plan to go B&W i would live it to post and shoot with much details in the blacks and the white

i like to use wide angel and be close to the subject to me it work great in hip hop

another thing i like is to work with higher shutter speed like 1/250

you can see same of my hip hop work at my space

good luck

i look at the clips

use big soft source you can take the 5k punch it thru 12*12 or 8*8 light grid as side light and from the other side same back light

if you plan to go B&W i would live it to post and shoot with much details in the blacks and the white

i like to use wide angel and be close to the subject to me it work great in hip hop

another thing i like is to work with higher shutter speed like 1/250

you can see same of my hip hop work at my space

good luck

What´s your my space ? it isn´t in your profile, Ram .

Jorge check my last 2 videos their reggaeton "No te Veo" from los leones and "Shorty" from Randy of Jowell y Randy at youtube shorty might be coming out this week both have club scenes.Any questions ill be glad to help.Ive never shot on a fx1 i know their 1080 wich is good the question is the lens speed, that will dictate your lighting equipment. Ram's advice is dead on also i noticed they love low angle so they look big and a kicker light or 3/4 back. if you have models kinos all around. As far as crew you need someone that knows the equipment or you will end up doing everithing wich is too much and that leads to mistakes i.e. focus,framing,equipment on the frame etc. trust me ive like that before.

• 4 weeks later...
Jorge check my last 2 videos their reggaeton "No te Veo" from los leones and "Shorty" from Randy of Jowell y Randy at youtube shorty might be coming out this week both have club scenes.Any questions ill be glad to help.Ive never shot on a fx1 i know their 1080 wich is good the question is the lens speed, that will dictate your lighting equipment. Ram's advice is dead on also i noticed they love low angle so they look big and a kicker light or 3/4 back. if you have models kinos all around. As far as crew you need someone that knows the equipment or you will end up doing everithing wich is too much and that leads to mistakes i.e. focus,framing,equipment on the frame etc. trust me ive like that before.

LATE LATE REPLY, but great videos man ! i just checked ´em out.