canon digital slrs

axela dardan

What would you recommend between canon 400d, rebel xt and rebel xti?

I already have a canon slr film camera with lenses and all, but have no preatical experience on digital, so Im looking for your advice, before I buy anything.

Thank you very much.

• Premium Member
I already have a canon slr film camera with lenses and all, but have no preatical experience on digital, so Im looking for your advice, before I buy anything.

Be careful. You can't use older lenses on the new EOS DSLRs. IMHO the main downside of Canons system: a new lens mount every 5-10 years...

What film Canon SLR do you have?

Cheers, Dave

What would you recommend between canon 400d, rebel xt and rebel xti?

Well, the Rebel XTi is the 400D, the XT is the 350D.

The XT is an 8MP camera, which I have used. It is nice and light, with a good start-up time and good battery life.

It produces nice images, which handle enlargements well. Images I shot with that camera have been enlarged to 8m x 9m bill boards quite nicely.

The 400D, or XTi is a 10MP camera. I have never used it so I can't comment on the specs, but on paper it looks quite good, and the reviews on-line are positive.

Infact I'm buying a DSLR for my own personal use, and its a toss-up at the moment between the 400D (I'm used to the Canon line) or the Nikon D40x.

Infact I'm buying a DSLR for my own personal use, and its a toss-up at the moment between the 400D (I'm used to the Canon line) or the Nikon D40x.

The D40x is such a better camera.

Although I'd still spend the extra cash and get the D80. Mainly for the build quality and lens compatability.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member

Although I'd still spend the extra cash and get the D80. Mainly for the build quality and lens compatability.

Hi Daniel, what do you mean by that? Do you mean the D40x's inability to AF non AF-I/AF-S lenses?

I were deciding on a new DSLR right now, I'd get a D200/300. With those you can use old MF lenses which are great pieces of glass and available for much less than AF ones. So you'd spend more on the body but less on the glass...

Cheers. Dave

My bad, I didn't realize XTi has EXACTLY the same features as 400d and XT same with 350D. I thought, maybe, with this rebranding, they would add some more techies stuff or smth...

As for the adapter, well I simply Froogled the words and I found plenty in stock, for prices like $39. I don't find that neither rare nor expensive. Since I already have good EF mount lenses, and a canon film camera body, which I got used to in 5 years of practice, why would I then switch to nikon, instead of just climbing up the hierarchical line?! Are canon cameras so bad to avoid them, or what? If now I found out that with the 350D's 8 MP you can have huge 8mx9m prints, Im even thinking to buy an XT.

Thank you for your comments,

Diana.

Are canon cameras so bad to avoid them, or what?

That question is the source of endless debate on photography forums! ;)

Canon & Nikon have slightly different looks, you'll have to weigh up the issues pertinent to you, and go from there.

If now I found out that with the 350D's 8 MP you can have huge 8mx9m prints, Im even thinking to buy an XT.

Well, 8MP is good enough, but for the price you can now get a 10MP, so why not go for the better res.

Says the Nikon fan ;)

In the end its going to be decided by which 10Mp deal I can get best value on. Being a devotee of a particular brand is a luxury I can't afford at present.

Hi Daniel, what do you mean by that? Do you mean the D40x's inability to AF non AF-I/AF-S lenses?

I were deciding on a new DSLR right now, I'd get a D200/300. With those you can use old MF lenses which are great pieces of glass and available for much less than AF ones. So you'd spend more on the body but less on the glass...

Cheers. Dave

That's the only downfall about the D40x. The fact that if you want an autofocus lens you have to go with the DX range. Which are either crap or seriously good (and expensive). Although I've heard some of the Sigmas now work.

But like you say, the manual focus lenses are great and are a lot cheaper.

But lets be honest, the D200 is a beast of a camera.. lol

I checked out the new 40D a few days ago, I really don?t like the idea that your money is going into the live view 3 inch display. Nikons approach with the D300 is to put your money into the quality. Not the features.

Nikon are generally noisier but sharper. The 400D has a really odd feel to it. And the 18-55 that?s comes with it is worse than the Nikons 18-55.

• Premium Member
But lets be honest, the D200 is a beast of a camera.. lol

I checked out the new 40D a few days ago, I really don?t like the idea that your money is going into the live view 3 inch display. Nikons approach with the D300 is to put your money into the quality. Not the features.

Nikon are generally noisier but sharper. The 400D has a really odd feel to it. And the 18-55 that?s comes with it is worse than the Nikons 18-55.

Heh, with a D200 and a 180/2.8 lens or the like you can skip them dumbbell flys at the gym! At least you can skip the right arm. Looking forward to the D3 in that regard! ;)

The D300 will feature a huge display as well, but what I like about it the most is the CMOS sensor. IIRC it's the same they put in the D2x which makes gorgeous pictures.

My main point why I choose Nikon was always that my uncle and grandpa had a load of lenses and bodies. But a stills photographer friend who's a heavy Canon user frequently complains of the bad (in his opinion and he's very picky!) quality of Canon's lenses and uses Sigmas on his bodies. So that might be another reason to stay with Nikon.

I guess it comes down to what camera design you prefer ergonomically and whether you have a stock of old lenses to use.

I also know that several people using 5Ds for QTVR panoramas use Nikon's 10.5 DX fisheye and cut off the sunshade to make full frame pictures. They say it beats Canons full frame fisheye by a long way...

Oh and the 18-55 Nikkor might be better than Canon's but it ain't good either!

Cheers, Dave