DV Camera WeightS

Mario Jimenez

hello hello!!

Well hopefully by the end of the year and after pursuing dozens of people both at work and without... We´ll be making a little short film!!!

Now i know ill be using one of those Mini Dv cams like XL2 or PD 170s BUT i´d like to build a little jib arm (tis already designed and all.. in a couple months ill post sketches n pix) but if any of you would happen to know the weight of said cameras with matteboxes and such!!!

just to know the requirements of wood and stuff (hey its gonna be real preety and hopefulle, have a lifespan of like 3-4 years) BUT im not able to fnd the weight of the durn things !!!! im thinking like around 20#s but hell it could be overkill...

thanx for the nfo AND the help, and hopefully ill be back later with some nice situational reports and preguntas!!!

:lol:

Both the PD-170/150 and the XL2 are very small and light cameras. The Sony is about 3.3-4.0 pounds without mattebox. The Canon weighs about 5 pounds (just over) with no lens, and goes up from there. Adding a miniDV mattebox onto these two cameras, even say a nice sturdy Chrosziel, won't affect weight too much since they are relatively small and light.

I'd say, more than the cameras (unless you're REALLY going to load them up with, say, onboard monitors and such), your weight should be determined by (1) how much you will be booming out, and (2) what kind of head you will be using. Just make sure you have a nice variety of weights at your disposal :)

Cheers!

At max would be 15 pounds, and keep in mind tripod head weight, maybe one small sachtler, Libec or vinteen heads will do, keep in mind that if you go with any of these heads, may be needing a bowl adapter ( I guess they are 80mm bowl size ) plus another factor is being able to hold weight and arm extension factor ( that means resistance of materials + counterweight balance at opposite end of camera ) holding enough that for longer the extension of the arm, doesnt become too much of a whip and can easily break apart and get your gear destroyed for shure or a not usable shot due to that whip shakiness phenomena, think about that, and good luck matte, good luck

Oscar