Pro35 Adapter on a Panasonic HPX-500?

Jonathan Bowerbank

Hey everyone,

I might be AC'ing on a show that's shooting with the HPX, and we're currently looking at our options of either shooting with the Pro35 with a set of PL primes, or (as I would prefer) shooting with a set of DigiPrimes.

I wanted to know from those who have used the Pro35 with the camera, or any other, what are some of its downsides. I already know what I'll be getting in terms of DoF, look and weight. But is there anything else I should know that you've come across? Also, how much juice does a Pro35 suck from the camera's battery?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I might be AC'ing on a show that's shooting with the HPX, and we're currently looking at our options of either shooting with the Pro35 with a set of PL primes, or (as I would prefer) shooting with a set of DigiPrimes.

I wanted to know from those who have used the Pro35 with the camera, or any other, what are some of its downsides. I already know what I'll be getting in terms of DoF, look and weight. But is there anything else I should know that you've come across? Also, how much juice does a Pro35 suck from the camera's battery?

Thanks!

Keep an eye out for the spinner switch for the ground glass.... it's usually recommended to turn it off in between set ups to save battery, and I've been on a couple shoots (one I was DP'ing), where the switch wasn't hit before the camera rolled. It can be pretty nasty looking at an image off a ground glass without the movement. Hope that helped.

Bobby Shore

DP

LA/Montreal

• Premium Member

Watch out for white shading with different lenses. Test against a neutral white or gray field; you're bound to encounter a green-magenta shift from top to bottom of the frame.

Also test for the limits of f-stop between taking lens and the adapter. You'll notice a "sweet spot" between the two where diffusion/sharpness of the ground glass and the optical qualities of the taking lens are best.

But is there anything else I should know that you've come across? Also, how much juice does a Pro35 suck from the camera's battery?

I'll second the number one problem: inadvertently turning the unit off or forgetting to turn it on. It runs very smoothly (best speed for me is with the dial set to between 6-7). I've used in on a Varicam and SDX and other than having a much longer footprint, on an already long camera, it creates a nice look. If you have 4 batteries and keep the charger working you won't have a problem. SDX is a great cam. Shot a commercial with it a few months ago and the image is cleaner than the Varicam in the blacks.

• 1 month later...

Ended up using the Pro35 on an HDX900 instead, worked great with very little drainage of the batter. The onboard monitor was what REALLY sucked the juice though.

I scared the DP a couple times because sometimes we'd change the battery between takes, which turned off the Pro35. Sometimes I'd change the battery without him noticing, and when he immediately went back to the camera after I switched it out, he'd freak out thinking the Pro35 wasn't on for the previous take, ha ha

It definitely is something to be very conscious of.

You don't have to leave the Pro35 on all the time. It is easy to set it up so that the adapter switches on and off with the record control of the camera. Just be sure not to then turn on the Pro35 directly on the unit, or the link will turn the adapter off when the camera switches into record.