Speed Ramps & the 35-3

Patrick Neary

Howdy howdy howdy-

Has anyone here done speed ramps with the 35-3/RCU/ICU combo, and if so, how well did it work? I've done ramps with the 435, but budget may not allow on an upcoming project, so I'm curious if we can get the same kind of seamless ramping with the old Battle-Axe 35-3. :)

I realize we opt out of using HMIs with the 35-3 combo, and post ramps aren't really an option for us.

thanks!

Howdy howdy howdy-

Has anyone here done speed ramps with the 35-3/RCU/ICU combo, and if so, how well did it work? I've done ramps with the 435, but budget may not allow on an upcoming project, so I'm curious if we can get the same kind of seamless ramping with the old Battle-Axe 35-3. :)

I realize we opt out of using HMIs with the 35-3 combo, and post ramps aren't really an option for us.

thanks!

Patrick,

The 35-III's electronics will not support the RCU control. Same for the C.E. High Speed base if your camera is so equip. I've tried doing "ramps" with short speed changes and manual iris changes. Ok results. You'll need to have someone change the variable speed dial (non Xtal speeds) while watching the FPS read out, someone to make the iris change and someone operating the camera. 3 people needed to hit all the marks! There is no way to push a button to initiate the effect just, "a one", "a two", "a three" type cue.

The Precision Speed Control 2 may make the speed change easier.

Rehearse without film in the camera. I hope it's not to be accomplished during a dolly shot while you are all riding a dolly, someone may get hurt! Altoids are handy also.

If the speed change is a short range, again the variable speed dial on the high-speed base could be used, then use the latitude of the film stock and correct the exposure in post. The thing about the variable dial, there is a slight delay when you move the dial until desired speed is attained. No way to put a stop mark, and it?s different each time! It can be done if you're patient and are not to critical about the 2nd speed you want to hit. I?ve tried this with the H.S. base only.

You can use the crystal speed selector to advance the speed in 10 fps increments, 24 fps to 34 fps etc. This is almost an instant change of the speed. I personally wouldn't try it with my camera going from 20 fps then pushing the 100 fps selection to go to 120 fps. I'm just not sure if the sudden change in the speed selection would negate the built in safety ramp. YOU can try it, then let me know if the camera is still working! :lol:

I'm not sure of this, but C.E. may have a box to operate a iris motor for speed changes. You'll have to check with them. It may be an item that's not listed in their catalog. Once the 435 came out, the 35-III was left in the dust as far as further electronic advances, but I don't think they could do much more with the 35-III's very reliable electronic design.

I do appreciate "no budget" shoots and the need to improvise.

Charlie

whups. I see where I misread Marc Shipman-Mueller's explanation over on CML, he does mention the Preston Speed/Aperture unit for more precise speed control with the 35-3, but the whole operation still sounds a bit clumsy. Not quite as clumsy as the circus you describe though! And yes, it would be on a dolly... :)

Thanks for the very good info!

whups. I see where I misread Marc Shipman-Mueller's explanation over on CML, he does mention the Preston Speed/Aperture unit for more precise speed control with the 35-3, but the whole operation still sounds a bit clumsy. Not quite as clumsy as the circus you describe though! And yes, it would be on a dolly... :)

Thanks for the very good info!

Dang, I completely forgot about the Preston system. I think that's what I was referring to when I mentioned the ?C.E. box?.

Again, I was giving you my experiences with the basic 35-III in the field with an out of the blue "why don't we do a ramp on this shot?? request. I haven?t worked with the Preston control. I solved my requests for in camera ramps by adding a 435 Advance to my kit. Marc Shipman-Mueller has been very helpful to me over the years. He used to work in Chicago before joining Arri.