535 display showing "filter"

Saurabh

Hi,

I have been trying to find out about this for some time on the net and off it but haven't got any answers yet. Recently we were shooting with a 535b and it's display was showing "Filter" on the right top corner. I haven't seen this ever on any other display. We tried to turn on/off the viewfider contrast filter but it didn't make any change on the display, i.e it still showed "filter" on the right top corner. There was nothing wrong with the footage but no one could tell me why the display was showing "filter".

Anyone with any explaination, please mail asap.

Thank You

Saurabh Goswami

AC

Mumbai

India

• Premium Member

Honestly I'm probably the least experience person who should answer this, having no experience with a 535b. But to make an educated guess based on what limited reading I've done on the camera, I would say perhaps it has something to do with the behind-the-lens gel filter holder the camera has. It could be sensing something is in the holder and is flashing that to remind you. Again, this doesn't come from any experience, but its just a possibility.

Good luck, hope you figure it out.

• Premium Member
I've had this happen, too, and while it doesn't do anything technically, I've had DPs ask with a stern face why the display is showing that. I'd also be interested to know what the cause is.

Is it something from the video tap? Like a warning to change the tap filter to accommodate the light level? Or do you mean it shows in the display on the side of the camera?

Is it something from the video tap? Like a warning to change the tap filter to accommodate the light level? Or do you mean it shows in the display on the side of the camera?

It's on the display on the side of the camera. I've seen it and it was just always fixed by the rental house, so I never found out what the actual cause was.

The 535 has a slot for behind-the-lens filtration, right? Perhaps it warns you if the slide is missing or not in the whole way. An open slot could fog film.

We pulled the gate when we saw it and made sure both the filter slide and the matte slide were all the way in. My guess is that it's just a software glitch. I'd love to know for sure though, and it is annoying to see it.