24" iMac & FCS2

Satsuki Murashige

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Mac, either a 4Ghz 24" iMac or a 4Ghz 17" MacBookPro for use with FCS2, and I'm looking for some advice.

I plan to use the system for cutting 10bit HD and possibly REDCODE 4K footage into my reel, and possibly for cutting short 10-15 minute personal projects in HD or REDCODE for a tape/Blu-Ray/DVD/web finish. I don't plan on cutting any professional editing jobs with this setup, even if I could get them, which I can't. I don't plan on using Motion much if at all, which I hear has issues (or possibly won't run) without an upgraded graphics card, which the iMac can't accept. I do plan on using Color however.

I'd prefer an iMac over a MacBookPro because it's cheaper, and because I prefer working with a regular keyboard and mouse. I also don't really need the portability. But it's my understanding that the MacBookPro can accept the upgraded graphics card which may result in a better functioning system than the iMac setup. So before I buy, I'd like to know if I really am insane for trying to use FCS2 with a tricked out iMac for my own limited needs, and if I need to bite the bullet and get the laptop. I don't want to buy a MacPro tower system, so that's not an option.

As you can see, I'm now hopelessly confused and drowning in a sea of Appletalk gobbley guk. I'd like some basic information so I can talk to the "genius" at the Applestore without sounding like a total moron. Does anyone have some advice for me?

Thanks.:)

• Premium Member
I'm looking to buy a Mac, either a 4Ghz 24" iMac or a 4Ghz 17" MacBookPro for use with FCS2

Ahem. That should read: 2.8GHz iMac with 4GB RAM or 2.4Ghz MacBookPro with 4GB RAM. I think you probably knew what I meant to say or thought I was completely bonkers.

So nobody wants to field this question? I'm sure their are plenty of other folks out there who are wondering the same thing.

• Premium Member

just caught this. go for the macbook pro if you want an all rounder (ie home office, bit of simple dv editing, bit of writing etc), the imac will of course do all this on a bigger screen, but without the benifits of portability. if you want to edit 10bit hd then you'll need a lot of accesories and cards which will not fit in an imac or a macbook pro. so then you buy a tower. which tricked out will massively increase your budget. which is why i have a laptop and do all my editing at post houses/ production companies.

good luck

keith

I got a related question. I have an imac (intel core 2 duo, 2.16 GhZ, 1GB RAM [i'll probably add one or two more GB's to it soon], two firewire 400), up to now I've only been using it with miniDV and it works more than fine.

would I encounter any problems if I tried HD on it? because I'm taking a course on HD this fall (I've never even worked with HD before, so I don't know much about it), and it would be great if I was able to use what I've learned with my own setup.

Edited by Noam Gagliardi Rabinovich

I got a related question. I have an imac (intel core 2 duo, 2.16 GhZ, 1GB RAM [i'll probably add one or two more GB's to it soon], two firewire 400), up to now I've only been using it with miniDV and it works more than fine.

would I encounter any problems if I tried HD on it? because I'm taking a course on HD this fall (I've never even worked with HD before, so I don't know much about it), and it would be great if I was able to use what I've learned with my own setup.

Make your own or download an HD trailer from apple (transformers is a goodie) then encode it in different formats and sizes to see where your system fails ... either your external drive wont pass the info fast enough or your processor wont decompress the codec fast enough - you have to find a happy balance and then check to see if the quality is ok for what you want to produce or even if RT playback at full quality is actually required

Most, if not all of this can be done in QT pro as a quick and nasty check ...

I'm about at the same point as most people here and I hope I dont send you down the wrong path with this advice, it does however make sense to me ...

• Premium Member
This doesn't really answer your question but read this - http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.p...cleId=196602702

and there is alos this now http://www.aja.com/html/products_Io_IoHD.html

does anyone know if this handles true HD instead of proRES?

thanks

Rolfe

Hi Rolfe,

It is Pro Res only, though that is not necessarilly a bad thing if you do not mind 4:2:2. pro res is an excellent codec in my opinion and i have mastered a number of hd projects with it, in fact i would not use another codec unless there was a need to work in 4:4:4. I'd forgotton about this and obviously it would seriously 'pimp' up an imac or mac pro, but if you are going to spend that kind of money your moving into a different ball park, professionally speaking. I am hoping to use an IO as part of my 'onset' kit on a feature i'm scheduled to edit next year.

keith

Edited by Keith Mottram