Mimicking sun wit a 6k HMI, any advice?

Sjur Pollen

Hi, I have a shoot coming up that requires "sunligt". We're shooting on location in the shadow-side of a big building, but would like it to appear sunny. The biggest light at my disposal is an 6K HMI fresnel, and the biggest frame will probably be a medium full shot of a person coming out of some sliding doors (carrying a large object).

I'm shooting on a Panasonic HVX-200 with an M2 35mm adapter, and this combo is rated at around 64ASA.

How do you gater I should set up the HMI to get at nice sun-like look to it? Not nescecarily a noon look, but perhaps some time in the afternoon (a little lower, and a little warmer.)

Any suggestions for fill? Reflectors, or do I need another lamp?

mhm. thats the thing, there is no where to place the hmi as a backlight, as the talent is coming out of som sliding doors in a big building. We'd have to place the light inside the building to get the hmi as a backlight, but that wouldn't make any sense.

Don't you use fill with such strong lights as key? And is there any use for any diffusion? I mean, it seems unnatural to me, but I don't have much experience with outdoor shoots.

Do you have a photo of the location at the time of day that you'll be shooting there?

no, I don't unfortunately. Done the shoot now anyway, and got pretty much the result i was aiming for just hitting the talent with the 6K with a 1/4 CTO, and bouncing a little fill on him with a reflector, plus a junior with 3/4 CTB as a kicker. Turned out fairly nice, and mimicked a early fall, afternoon sun which I was aiming for. This is the only image I have from the shoot, and I'm not sure if I should post it here but what the heck. Any constructive critisism?

omg.jpg