The HVX HD Analog Component output

Daniel Madsen

Have any of you folks found the HVX to have a really unreliable HD Analog Component output? A poor connection is causing the directors monitor to always lose its feed and a director to lose his cool. Any suggestions in terms of cables? Have any of you opted to use the S-video output because of this problem. I'm always careful to relieve strain from the connector but the problem persists.

peace

There is a simple solution to this:

Buy the Canon brand cable (made for the XLH1). It's the same D-terminal plug, but the build quality is much higher and the connection is much more solid compared to the Panasonic cable. I shook the connection violently when we first used it and there was no interruption of feed.

According to the sales guy at a large film/video supply place here in LA, many Panasonic reps come in and buy the Canon cables to use at trade shows.

Buy the Canon brand cable (made for the XLH1). It's the same D-terminal plug, but the build quality is much higher and the connection is much more solid compared to the Panasonic cable.... According to the sales guy at a large film/video supply place here in LA, many Panasonic reps come in and buy the Canon cables to use at trade shows.

Hi Matt, thanks for sharing a very valuable piece of information. I own and rent out two HVX 200 cine-style P2 camera packages and we've been through roughly six of the Panasonic cables in 15 months. In all fairness, Panasonic has been quick to replace them at no-charge, including the VP of Sales sending us his personal cable via FedEx one time. Regardless, every time a package goes out on rental I give people "the lecture" about taking care of that cable.

Again, great info and thanks!

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

Las Vegas