Latitude comparative test and proposal

Evangelos Achillopoulos

Hello to all forum members

For some time I measure, with a Danes Picta TS28D transmitive step chart various cameras in order to understand their behavior. My study has shown different results of what is the market belief. I?m using an image quality assessment software to analyze results. Probably many of you will be shocked of the results. Never the less, I thing that I have to publish them and learn from the forum collective knowledge.

The software that I use is www.imatest.com and costs 129$.

Many of the big manufactures are using it for R&D purposes.

In the link below are the results of an objective dynamic range comparative test.

http://www.motionfx.gr/Files/Latitude%20Ob...son%20Sep07.pdf

The images that these results have being taken can be given on request because of the huge size that they have.

I would like all of you, to comment the results which are including RED, Cinealta, Varicam, Canon EOS 5D, Leica etc.

The results are very interesting.

I don?t have access to all the cameras available but a 16bit tiff still from a Stouffer T4110 transmitive step chart will be enough for me to run a noise/f-stop analysis and publish it in the forum.

I follow the debate related to how we can have common measuring methods in image quality assessment. My proposal is to use imatest software as a common ground.

If we all use the methods of camera quality assessment that are provided from imatest software, we all, going to have a common ground in comparing image acquisition systems.

Waiting your comments.

Regards, to everyone

Evangelos Achillopoulos

Elec. Engineer

DIT, DI/VFX supervisor

Motion FX Technologies S.A.

62 Amarousiou - Chalandriou &

Dodonis, Marousi, Athens

Greece

Tel: +302106857975

Fax:+302106857824

Mob: +306932834153