SDX-900 feature info

Richard R. Robbins

Hello all,

I know that this has been discussed to death in the past...however, given present technology, methodology, wizardry, etc. what's the best wayin October of 2007?

Here's the deal. Back in June, I DP'd a indy feature ("For Love of Amy" - forloveofamy.com) using my SDX900 and shooting DVCPRO50-24pa. It's presenty being cut on FCP. I know that soon the following things will need to happen.

1.) color correction

2.) sound mix

3.) up-rez to HD (DVCPROHD? - Varicam?)

4.) transfer to HDCAM the standard film fest format.

color correction, what are the options, besides the limited tools within FCP, or, who has a good reputation for this and how do we provide it?

sound mix, needs limited ADR and effects and a mix using original music

Up-rez, what's the best way? Internally in FCP? Can we outsource for this?

transfer to Sony HDCAM, who's the best resource for this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Regards,

Rich

I wouldn't go through a DVCPRO HD Step or use final cut pro to up reZ

Tape route:

Grade in SD - on an uncompressed timeline - the new color package in FCP is good - but not as good as a dedicated faciliy house with proper monitoring. But it depends on what you can afford, I would try and out source if possible as a talented colourist can bring a lot to the look of your film.

Playout to digi-beta

go to facility house with nice Snell and Willcox up-rez box such as the Alchemist HD and get them to do a straight dub and upconversion to hdcam.

Software route:

Grade in SD

Up res in After Effects or similar

Export as uncompressed quicktime at HD Res - or what ever the Facility house your using, recommends.

Take file to facility house and get them to play it out to HDCAM - any fac house in your area with HD edit kit and HDCAM deak should be able to do this

I don't think there would be any advantage in grading the HD up rez'ed version and it would cost more