Software for doing overheads

Tom Banks

I'm wondering if anyone uses any software during the pre phase for mapping out overheads, placing characters and camera angles? It is something I could do on photoshop, but there's got to be a simple program where you can add in furniture, mock people, cars, etc... to use as references when doing overheads.

Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm wondering if anyone uses any software during the pre phase for mapping out overheads, placing characters and camera angles? It is something I could do on photoshop, but there's got to be a simple program where you can add in furniture, mock people, cars, etc... to use as references when doing overheads.

Anyone?

Hey Tom

I don't know how many others use it, but I like using Vectorworks whenever possible. It is great too when the sets were designed in the software because you can take thier work and input all your lighitng instruments over the top of it. It isn't exactly industry practice, but its worked out pretty well for me for the most part.

Let me know if you hear of any other solutions - im curious to see what everyone else does.

So I ended up using Google SketchUp. I read about the guys from "300" using it to previs some of their sets.

I made this from memory and a few stills in about two hours. Its for an 8 min. steadicam shot that travels from outside, to inside and around the house. Its great to place figures, do 3d views, as well as some nice looking overhead diagrams to mark on.

overheadgs5.jpg