Canon 1014 XL-S currently on Ebay- a question

Rob Tu

I thought a few people here might appreciate this item I just posted on ebay. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to cinematography, but perhaps I can get some help here with any questions that might be asked of me during this auction.

First question: Is my starting price a good one?

Here is the auction I'm referring to above:

Canon 1014 XL-S for sale on ebay as of 10/06/07

Thanks

I thought a few people here might appreciate this item I just posted on ebay. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to cinematography, but perhaps I can get some help here with any questions that might be asked of me during this auction.

Thanks

I think you should sel it to me for $5 <_<

Seriously, why don't you keep it and use it?

Rick

I think you should sel it to me for $5 <_<

Seriously, why don't you keep it and use it?

Rick

:unsure: hmmmm, $5 sounds quite tempting....

no, but really, I don't know the first thing about using it. I've held onto it for a few years, stored away nicely, in hopes of one day making use of it.

But now, I've come to the realization that it's not going to get put to use- might as well let someone with the desire and ability to use it have a shot at it.

Besides, funds are desperately needed :(

• Premium Member
Thanks for the info; that's good to know. I guess I did start the auction at well below it's going rate...I don't mind. Should be a good buy for someone.

You can start an auction at 1 cent and what happens is the nibblers, just for kicks, start putting in low ball bids. 19 bucks, 39 bucks, 99 bucks...etc...

What this does however is it hooks them all into the auction as they get notified when they are outbid...

Sometimes if the auction price starts to high, all the nibblers don't nibble, move on to other auctions, and suddenly you have to hope for 2 or 3 sniper bidders (bidding in the last minute of the auction) to kick the price up that 500 bucks.

You can start an auction at 1 cent and what happens is the nibblers, just for kicks, start putting in low ball bids. 19 bucks, 39 bucks, 99 bucks...etc...

What this does however is it hooks them all into the auction as they get notified when they are outbid...

Sometimes if the auction price starts to high, all the nibblers don't nibble, move on to other auctions, and suddenly you have to hope for 2 or 3 sniper bidders (bidding in the last minute of the auction) to kick the price up that 500 bucks.

I couldn't agree more. I achieved the best prices for the cameras I sell, when I started the auction at 1 English pound. You attract more people this way. It's not as risky as it seems. A good tested camera, in full working condition, usually sells for what is supposed to sell, rarely though, someone get a bargain. So, here is my Canon 1014XL-S starting at 1 british pound. Let's all see what will happen.

Item number : 170156890564

• Premium Member

I forgot to add that as bidders see how many bids have already been made on the camera, sometimes they feel more comfortable bidding on the camera because they know others want it as well.

Buy it now can work, but if it sells too quickly it can drive the seller crazy wondering if they put too low of a buy it now price on the their camera, and if it sits too long, they might as well have just put it to bid. lol, no matter what you do, it can work for you, but ironically, starting with a "safe" to the seller minimum bid can be just as risky or riskier as starting at one dollar...but only when your item is a much sought after item.

By the way, I think you can put a link to your auction rather than just the item number??? There is a classifieds section on this website although it probably doesn't get as much traffic as certain forums here do.

By the way, I think you can put a link to your auction rather than just the item number??? There is a classifieds section on this website although it probably doesn't get as much traffic as certain forums here do.

Yes, you are probably right, here is the link :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MESE:IT

This is all true. I just don't like placing reserves on my auctions, so a safe starting price for me, would be the minimum amount I'd be fine in accepting for it.

Yes, you are probably right, here is the link :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MESE:IT

George, do you think you could've made your own thread for your camera rather than hijacking mine. I actually had questions regarding my camera and set this thread up to be able to answer them. Your post in this thread is strictly to advertise your camera on a shorter auction and lower price than mine.

<_< nice.

Anyway, thanks again to those of you who have actually answered my questions, and perhaps I can use George's auction to answer questions I might have as well...so it's all good, George... :D cheers

George, do you think you could've made your own thread for your camera rather than hijacking mine. I actually had questions regarding my camera and set this thread up to be able to answer them. Your post in this thread is strictly to advertise your camera on a shorter auction and lower price than mine.

<_< nice.

Anyway, thanks again to those of you who have actually answered my questions, and perhaps I can use George's auction to answer questions I might have as well...so it's all good, George... :D cheers

Rob

First of all, neither of us should be posting our auctions here, there is indeed a dedicated forum for this.

2. Your questions were strictly about the starting price of your camera and the value of the camera, I TOO answered your question.

3. Rick, Alex and me were the only persons that replied about your EBAY question, so to thank just the 2 is...rude...especially if you can REALLY ask me questions about the camera itself...

4. Alex asked me the link of my auction, I didn't put it in the first place...

5. Do you really believe that I will "steal" some bidders from you? I'm in Europe, you are in the states (and don't ship overseas!), we won't have the same bidders, believe me. The fact that my auction ends sooner is a + to you, not to me.

At the end of the day, if you, or anyone else want me to remove the link, no problem, I will do it right away.

Anyway, you can still ask me technical questions about the camera.

George

Rob

First of all, neither of us should be posting our auctions here, there is indeed a dedicated forum for this.

2. Your questions were strictly about the starting price of your camera and the value of the camera, I TOO answered your question.

3. Rick, Alex and me were the only persons that replied about your EBAY question, so to thank just the 2 is...rude...especially if you can REALLY ask me questions about the camera itself...

4. Alex asked me the link of my auction, I didn't put it in the first place...

5. Do you really believe that I will "steal" some bidders from you? I'm in Europe, you are in the states (and don't ship overseas!), we won't have the same bidders, believe me. The fact that my auction ends sooner is a + to you, not to me.

At the end of the day, if you, or anyone else want me to remove the link, no problem, I will do it right away.

Anyway, you can still ask me technical questions about the camera.

George

George, thanks for the itemized and detailed response. I won't take time to respond to number 2-5. It's not that serious; I just thought it was funny, and on other message forums I post on, it would be considered "hijacking", but I found your post useful as well after checking out your auction.

My apologies for not including you in the thanks. Tone can many times be misinterpreted- I really wasn't all that upset...thus why I ended it with a joke.

In other words, no big deal/ no worries.

Take care and thanks for posting to my thread. Seriously, it's helpful. :)

• Premium Member
This is all true. I just don't like placing reserves on my auctions, so a safe starting price for me, would be the minimum amount I'd be fine in accepting for it.

Sniper bidders are advised to do the same, bid the maximum they are willing to pay. It's all good.

You guys have inadvertently set up an interesting test. Which method perhaps produces a higher final price.

One auction is starting at 01 cent, the other has a much higher reserve. When it's all said and done the final winning bids will probably be near each other for both items, if not, we all may learn something.

Sniper bidders are advised to do the same, bid the maximum they are willing to pay. It's all good.

You guys have inadvertently set up an interesting test. Which method perhaps produces a higher final price.

One auction is starting at 01 cent, the other has a much higher reserve. When it's all said and done the final winning bids will probably be near each other for both items, if not, we all may learn something.

True...except there are too many variables for us to really find out which way is a more effective method of selling a camera on ebay.

His (george) is in pounds/ mine dollars

His ad looks much more polished/professional

His has the mic included (which is cool and probably makes it more valuable)

Still it should be interesting to see the results :D

Thanks

Personally I would stay away from this auction if i was shopping for this camera. I know what a fine camera the 1014XLS is. You have made the effort to dig up info on what a good camera it is... so whats stopping you from putting batteries in it and telling people that it runs smooth and quiet on all speeds, and the light meter responds to light. I'm not trying to sound rude, but if you expect me to pay $500 of my hard earned money... you can spend $5 and 5 minutes to ensure that it at least runs. It puts up a red flag on an auction when the functional use is not mentioned, but some claim to ignorance is. I would pay about $40-$50 for that camera listed the way it is, because the only thing I'm guaranteed is parts.

Personally I would stay away from this auction if i was shopping for this camera. I know what a fine camera the 1014XLS is. You have made the effort to dig up info on what a good camera it is... so whats stopping you from putting batteries in it and telling people that it runs smooth and quiet on all speeds, and the light meter responds to light. I'm not trying to sound rude, but if you expect me to pay $500 of my hard earned money... you can spend $5 and 5 minutes to ensure that it at least runs. It puts up a red flag on an auction when the functional use is not mentioned, but some claim to ignorance is. I would pay about $40-$50 for that camera listed the way it is, because the only thing I'm guaranteed is parts.

Well, I didn't know what to look for when having betteries in it, or that it could run without film. I'll be happy to put batteries in it and test it the way you mentioned. This is exactly why I made this thread to get this kind of help. I'm not looking to rip anyone off. I don't know the first thing about these cameras. I thought it was cool that I had one, and apparently I had a second uncle, or something like that, that passed away and left it in my aunt's house.

It looked cool, so she gave it to me when I was helping her clean out some stuff. This was years ago. I didn't discover what I had till just a couple months ago.

SO you sstated that all I have to do is place batteries in it, and that will be sufficient to see if it functions properly?

I took pics from every angle to demonstrate that it has no visable damage, not so much as a scratch or dent, and everything moves on it that is supposed to move. So I'm hoping that it still works the way that it was intended to, but I'll be happy to place batteries to demonstrate this. "$5 and 5 minutes" is something I can do.

again, I don't think you were rude; this isn't a sale thread. It's an information thread. Haha, George was more rude when he had thought I was rude to him...but even that wasn't all that rude ;)

So I guess it's off to buy some batteries today.

SO you sstated that all I have to do is place batteries in it, and that will be sufficient to see if it functions properly?

It's just like putting batteries in a radio and turning it on to see if it works. Load em, turn on the power and pull the trigger... you will hear it running. Listen to how steady it sounds on all frame rate settings. Look through the view finder and see if the light meter at least moves with light changes. You may not be knowlegable about the camera, but it's good for business to show an effort that you can at least ensure the camera runs... Otherwise you are basically selling a shelf decoration. Most buyers are looking for this camera model so they can use it for it's qualities. I personally like to shop cameras that have been used and tested, with some info on how well it performs. I paid $500 for my 814XLS, but it was mint condition and a solid guarantee from the seller that it works as it should.

It's just like putting batteries in a radio and turning it on to see if it works. Load em, turn on the power and pull the trigger... you will hear it running. Listen to how steady it sounds on all frame rate settings. Look through the view finder and see if the light meter at least moves with light changes. You may not be knowlegable about the camera, but it's good for business to show an effort that you can at least ensure the camera runs... Otherwise you are basically selling a shelf decoration. Most buyers are looking for this camera model so they can use it for it's qualities. I personally like to shop cameras that have been used and tested, with some info on how well it performs. I paid $500 for my 814XLS, but it was mint condition and a solid guarantee from the seller that it works as it should.

Some would say you overpaid for the 814XLS, but I see your point that you would rather play it safe, overpay for something you know for a fact works perfectly fine, than get a bargain for something you are not sure will work perfectly fine- I understand that.

That said, I don't want to misrepresent anything, so placing batteries in it and "testing" without knowing what to look for would not be all that helpful, and might lead to a false sense of security for the buyer. I rather have the buyer be pleasantly surprised by the functionality of it, than disappointed if it works in any way less than expected by my completely ignorant test.

But I took your advice, picked up six batteries today, and fired her up. the zoom buttons on top work great. The different speeds on the dial clicked along nicely, and when I looked through the viewfinder, I could see a lit meter moving as I walked around my apartment, from white to red. I didn't know there was any instruments in the viewfinder. Very cool stuff, and it sounds like what I've heard those movie projectors sound like in movies...I really wish I knew how to test this out better, including buying some film, etc.

I didn't want to do more with it that that since I don't want to misuse it...perhaps that sounds stupid, but nevertheless. I'm going to post my findings, as I did on here, and let's see how the auction goes. I truly hope someone gets a good deal here, as someone has already met my opening bid; there is no reserve on this auction, so it's going to sell, and I hope be of much use.

Thanks for the tips and opinion, even if it wasn't favorable to the camera I'm selling ;)

If anyone has any other suggestions or questions, I'll happily look into them.