alternative to hd

Richard Burke

im wanting to bring as many people as possible to the attention of double super8. it has the potential of being far cheaper than super8, has a proper pressure plate mechanism, the ability of interchangable lenses and easier crystal sync.

the modern stocks have finally caught up with the size of the film, especially for commercial productions or low budget projects. using a medium speed 8mm negative transfered to vieo is an amazing sight when using good optics. with the wide gate super8 application, the grain is even tighter.

its also a lot cheaper than renting hd cameras or buying equipment that gets outdated as fast as your computer.

i know it sounds crazy but its worth looking into for those doing pro work.

i have started a web group of people interested in learning about ds8 more. if interested, please go to yahoo groups and join double super8 or email me personally and ill add you on manually

bloopoid@yahoo.com

huh... Are there any double super-8 cameras left out there? And film?

I wouldn't really look at it as an either/or thing. Super8 is cool in it's own right, but a very different beast than HD.

I guess someone somewhere is probably still shooting 9.5mm too.

• Premium Member

I have a 9.5 mm Pathe in the antique collection. It runs, but I've never seen any film for it, nor any way to project or telecine it.

The lenses that are being made now for 2/3" HD would be very interesting to try on a good double run S-8 camera.

-- J.S.

I'm always disapointed when hear about people using video lenses for film cameras... Am I wrong ?

Are you wrong? Depends on *why* you are disapointed.

The technical grounds for being disappointed can be right or wrong, depending on which video lens you are putting on which camera. ie in general, HD lenses are bettter than 16mm lenses so you shouldn't be disappointed. Standard def lenses on 16mm are inferior.

Mike Brennan

the modern stocks have finally caught up with the size of the film, especially for commercial productions or low budget projects. using a medium speed 8mm negative transfered to vieo is an amazing sight when using good optics. with the wide gate super8 application, the grain is even tighter.

bloopoid@yahoo.com

A potentially tiny camera with say 1 minute load of super 8 film with a even slower Kodachrome film and super sharp lenses would be very interesting for sport and docs with main camera being HD.

Something the size of a pack of cigs....

The lenses would be expensive. It could have a tiny 1/4 inch ccd video tap....

Mike Brennan

It is crazy, I agree with Phil on this. Certainly it looks good compared to SD video, but as an alternative to HD, c'mon?

And there isn't really *any* stocks for ds8, although there's this guy who's building a perforator machine for ds8. Then you could shoot whatever stock you want in ds8 :)

It is, although, a much better format than super8 because the stability is a lot better. I think I'll be shooting some B/W reversal ds8 in future. Fomapan R100, to be exact.

ok, on the stock front im arranging for ds8 stock from kodak. they will ds8 perf any stock i want. i just have to make the minimum order of 50 400ft cans and im just getting enouhg poeple together to break the batch.

secondly, im spoken to enough people in the asc in the states and oz and they came to the same conclusion: using high end optics like the zeiss, switar, etc and a fine stock such as 50D or 100T will look spectacular and they beleive it will easily compete with HD and have the organic nature of celluloid.

for whoever sais its a minute long burn, you are wrong. with the 100ft load its 5 minutes a side. if you get a camera with the mag its a 20 minute burn, and thats per side.

give it a chance, you would be surprised.