Freebie Contracts

While asked to work as camera operator --to do a favor to a DP friend--I was given a contract to sign by the pa. It basically states that the "volunteer" "releases and forever discharges the company for any action, claims, expenses and compensation...."

For starters, volunteering to help on a shoot should mean that one is treated BETTER and with MORE respect and not taken advantage of. In this case, the director and producer got two camera operators to show up, thus wasting the time and potential efforts of a crew member. They were rude and condescending throughout the project having absolutely no respect for the time and effort that the 'volunteers' contributed. I would think that the 'company' would be overjoyed that there are crew out there to help them make THEIR INDIE and possibly share any deferalls with the crew. The idea that "If you do this one, we will hire you when we get a paying shoot." couldn't be more false. So at the very least, the company should promise to share some compensation for the crew's hard free work. All we have to sell is our time, and a little respect goes a long way. The P/D KH was rude and condescending and I have no qualms about letting this forum know of his contract and company. CAVEAT EMPTOR as they say. DO NOT SIGN ONE OF THESE FORMS. If you would like a copy of the contract email me and I will send it to you.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

On on the many student shows I have worked as freebies I was asked to sign a waiver releasing them of liability (even though legally you can not sign away negligence). It is usually a requirement of the school's that all crew sign, and understand that they are not covered by the school's insurance.

Usually if you are signed on for the entire show, and listed in the crew list, you are covered by the workman's comp insurance.

As for them being dicks, well, I cant say I haven't walked of a show or two that the crew were total a-holes, but that is a whole other thread.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Hi,

It's not unusual to have to sign some horribly unilateral and arrogant piece of paper even on unpaid jobs; it's often an insurance requirement. Take heart in the fact that, as someone's said, they're often fightable in court, should it come to that.

As for getting two people to turn up - yes, that's pretty horrible, and I wouldn't put up with it. The thing to do is for you BOTH to walk because you feel so redundant!

Phil

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
kevin haggerty was the director co-producer

i heard he moved to NYC

Watch out for this guy hes a crook

you should watch yourself with that kind of talk! If someone in your opinion is "not a nice person" there are other ways to say it without putting yourself on the block for a future lawsuit. After all a guy who makes people do what has allegedly been said to do, would not think twice about being an ass and serving "papers" for defamation and or slander. Your best bet at this point is to get back on this forum and edit or remove your post.

GWPB

• 3 weeks later...
you should watch yourself with that kind of talk! If someone in your opinion is "not a nice person" there are other ways to say it without putting yourself on the block for a future lawsuit. After all a guy who makes people do what has allegedly been said to do, would not think twice about being an ass and serving "papers" for defamation and or slander. Your best bet at this point is to get back on this forum and edit or remove your post.

GWPB

Sorry to disappoint you. Post stays.

The less than honorables in our industry deserve to be booted out.

or at least called to task.

You obviously must fear them. I dont. Ive been in this industry (happily until recently) for 30 years. Too many beginners in charge. As far as a lawsuit. I think hed be too embarrased to pursue, this happened in Canada pal. So I dont think "running to the courts would apply"

There were also witnesses to the action.

"Act like a sheep..."

Edited by Jose Galt