mattebox and rods for hd110

Guest Trevor Swaim

Guest Trevor Swaim

I have been looking into getting a cavision mb413b (4x4 bellows type) matte box for my hd110. I would also be getting a JVC KA551u wedge style tripod plate for the system. My question is this: Does anyone know if the cavision RSPU and rods plate is of decent quality, or amy I better to go with the much more expensive Zacuto Z-LWS system? I will on occasion be using a follow focus if that has any bering (stability and what not).

links for this stuff:

Cavision system

Zacuto Z-LWS

JVC KA551u

Edited by Trevor Swaim

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know much about the Cavision other than it's appeared very cheap & plasticy at trade shows where I've seen it. We sell the Zacuto gear so I don't want to sound like a pitch here, but I can tell you that if you ever decide to invest in the JVC lens adaptor for using 16mm glass, the Chrosziel rod plate won't fit right but the Zacuto will. Don't know about the Cavision. The issue is the need for a support for the lens adaptor.

Guest Trevor Swaim
Don't know much about the Cavision other than it's appeared very cheap & plasticy at trade shows where I've seen it. We sell the Zacuto gear so I don't want to sound like a pitch here, but I can tell you that if you ever decide to invest in the JVC lens adaptor for using 16mm glass, the Chrosziel rod plate won't fit right but the Zacuto will. Don't know about the Cavision. The issue is the need for a support for the lens adaptor.

So the JVC lens adapter aside would you say that the Zacuto is the best option? I know they have a reputation for being rather spendy, however they also have a reputation for never breaking... I just feel that getting the best set of rods would be the wisest investment for me at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Trevor Swaim
The cavision system is weak at best. Look into the Chroseziel 440-03-HD100k2

Thanks, that looks like a killer setup for the bucks.

• 3 months later...

I have found the RSPU to not have a really snug fit when locked into the KA551. There is minor room for the wedge to move within the holster of the KA551 resulting in something that is not confidence inspiring. If budget is an issue, it is still tough to beat Cavision accessories.

Edited by Bryan D Olinger

• 1 month later...