Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)

• Premium Member

I was just looking at this new Criterion Collection DVD -- my interest in the movie is mainly that I believe it was the first U.S. production using the 2-perf Techniscope process. Actually, the quality is pretty good, if the DVD is any example.

robinson1.jpg

robinson2.jpg

• Premium Member

I just watched Robinson Crusoe on Mars(1964) this week also. Criterion did a great job on the transfer. It looked great on a 10 foot wide screen.

I am amazed that only four years separated it from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).

RCOM had a very '50s feel and look, where 2001 still looks futuristic to me.

2001 deserves a better DVD transfer than what is currently available.

This was the FIRST Movie I ever saw in a theater and it will ALWAYS hold a very special place in my heart. I was amazed at the time how realistic it seemed to me. I saw it around Christmas time in the old Rialto theater in Rock Springs Wyoming. my home town. I was a special free screening for kids put on by the Moose or Shrines or something. I remember sitting in that beautiful little art deco darkened theater, looking up at the enormous heavy velvet curtains as they opened and the movie came on. In that instant, I fell in love with movies.

Edited by James Steven Beverly