Panasonic DVX100 or Sony PD170 P

Bogdan Big

I have a Sony PD 170P. I like the Panasonic DVX100 as a camera more then Sony, but...

I`m going to get two more cameras, but I don`t exactly know wich of the two: Panasonic DVX100 or Sony PD 170P. The problem is that I don`t know wich camera has the better picture. If any one had an oportunity to compare the two, please suggest.

I know, if I choose panasonic, I would have to sale my Sony and buy one more DVX100.

Thank you very mach.

Bogdan Big.

• Premium Member

Both cameras make comparable pictures with 'better' being nothing more than subjective. At that point the best thing to figure out is which camera feels best to you in-hand and which has the features and controls that you like. Looking at someone's footage is nice but the question is do they have the camera adjusted properly or best for what they shot. And that is one reason why footage can be deceiving. I have looked all all of these cameras in this price range and found it was more personal taste that made the difference rather than actual objective differences. Or put it this way, if one was really better more folks would buy it, and there would be a clear 'winner', but both cameras (as do others in their price range) all sell well.

I own both of these cameras and I decide which one to use based upon the nature of a project, especially the lighting restrictions. The PD170 has amazing low light capabilities and is great for documentary type shoots where I have limited control over the lighting. The DVX100 image has more saturated blacks and can give much deeper colors. If I?m shooting in a film style production where I have time to set up lights and do some basic Art Direction the DVX100 will create what most would consider more beautiful images. In a run-and-gun situation where I need to work with available light the PD170 saves the day. Other minor issues: the DVX100 lens does not have a very long zoom reach. If you?re shooting weddings or lectures or a situation where you?re not permitted to get close to your subject, you may be stuck shooting a wide, or a medium shot, when you may have preferred a close up. I also don?t like the poor proximity of focus and iris controls on the DVX for making fast adjustments on documentary shoots. However, the DVX creates gorgeous, cinematic style images that the PD170 can?t. I also love to do hand held work with the DVX with the point-7 wide adapter. This gives me a very wide and flexible zoom range that I don?t get with the PD170 (even with wide angle adapters). Essentially, you should make your camera decision based on the type of work you plan on doing with it. Neither of these camera is simply better than the other.