Locations for Student Film (Futuristic)

Trevor Fernando

Hey Guys,

So I'm shooting my thesis film for my school. Its set in the future but I'm going for a more realistic minimalist look...something similar to Gattaca or Children of Men.

We're shooting in LA on a very low budget. The locations are: 3 different loft or house locations - they must look like a wealthy individual or family lives there, ideally with a very modern, minimalist decor. We also need a sushi restaurant.

Each location will be a 1 day shoot (12 hours), so its a total of 4 days of shooting.

Every place I've contacted has been somewhere between $3K-10K a day. I found a few cool places that were $1500 but thats the cheapest so far.

Can anyone recommend some houses or standing sets that we could rent for less at a student rate that still would look great on camera for this kind of film? Or, even better, a location with several standing sets so we could go to one place for the entire shoot?

So far, I only know of United Pacific Studios (also known as the Entertanium) and Lacy Street. I don't know how much these places rent for indies...anyone who's used these before know?

On a side note, if you happy to think of a perfect place but it is a lot more expensive, I'd still love to check it out.

Anyhow, any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Hah I smiled when I read "Entertanium". A friend and I stumbled upon this interesting place while scouting studio spaces in the warehouse district. At the time there was a zombie movie shooting outside the rather distinctive building (something along the lines of "Bloodsucking Zombies from Da Hood?). We decided to check out the studio and we were taken on a rather thorough tour of Entertanium. They were very nice and they had some good sets here in there. But halfway into the tour their purpose became very clear as we passed along a green, padded room named the "alien room". Suddenly the locker room, jail cell, and night club sets all became clear... We did a google search when we got home just to make sure ;)

Anyways these guys were very nice and eager to help. But check into them for yourself.

As far as ideas for locations, thats a tough one. You might have your best luck contacting people who do not normally get contacted about these things and are therefor less accustomed to higher rates. I'm sure its safe to say the farther outside of LA you look, the cheaper your locations become. The only other idea I have (and I'm not sure if its the best idea or not) is to look on Craigslist or something of that nature for houses or lofts either for rent or sale by individuals. They might be willing to spare a day to make a good chunk of change, and hopefully their place is still furnished!

Good luck and I'm interested to hear how it goes.

• Premium Member

Hell, come to Phila, locations and generally free here. Not useful I know, but, the advice of looking in places where you don't normally see production is a good one. Also, talk to relator's. I know here in Phila we got a row home for a week straight by going through Century 21, for free (and all the power my 2ks could eat!)

But in seriousness, if you do wind up in phila, look me up! ;)