Shooting 7218 in daylight

Marta Bobic

I'm shooting a short soon on 7218. It may sound odd, seeing as almost all of the film is in daylight, but as there is so little to be shot indoors I don't want the cost of extra stock I won't use, and would rather just use one for the whole thing. I know some people don't like having glass on the lens all the time, but I generally prefer tungsten stocks, and I don't like correcting the other way around (it never looks quite as good).

So my question is, 85 or 85B? I read on the Kodak spec sheet for the 7218 that with an 85 the EI is 320, and with an 85B it's 200. But elsewhere I've heard that the usual 2/3 stop compensation applies to both. I know that an 85B is the 'proper' correction filter for modern stocks, but what is the difference visually between the two? If it really does end up as a 200ASA, then I may as well shoot on the 250D and just gel my lights with CTB for the interior scene.

Any thoughts or advice?

• Premium Member

The 85B converts 5500K to 3200K and the 85 converts 5500K to 3400K -- not a big difference, well within a correctable range on color negative. It only matters which one you use if you are shooting reversal for direct projection with no ability to color-correct.

• Premium Member

If you use 250D and CTB your lights, you'll lose a lot of their output. You'll need to be use 1 or 2Ks at fairly close range depending on how you need to use the lighting. (Im assuming you have little to work with budget wise) Ive had to do it a few times with small light kits and its amazing how little output they'll have with full correction. You might use 1/2 or 3/4 CTB at most and correct for the rest. If you can rent it, get a small HMI like a Joker.

Thanks, Vincent! Looks good! I'll post some from my short when I have something to post! I think I will stick with the 7218 and the 85B, it seems that that is the way to go.

And thank you David and Adam too, I'm grateful for the advice.