Super 16

Erik Horn

First off, I apologize if this topic has been made numerous times, but I searched and couldn't find much. So, I am looking into getting a super 16mm camera, most likely a krasnogorsk mod for filming many shorts and such, and i was just wondering if there is special super 16mm film stock, because i couldn't seem to find any on the internet for sale, or if you just use regular 16mm stock. If someone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated, and also if you had any other beginer 16mm tips. i have shot tonnes of Super 8, and really want to get into 16mm and i want to go the purchasing route as opposed to renting. thanks for your help.

-Erik

• Premium Member
First off, I apologize if this topic has been made numerous times, but I searched and couldn't find much. So, I am looking into getting a super 16mm camera, most likely a krasnogorsk mod for filming many shorts and such, and i was just wondering if there is special super 16mm film stock, because i couldn't seem to find any on the internet for sale, or if you just use regular 16mm stock. If someone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated, and also if you had any other beginer 16mm tips. i have shot tonnes of Super 8, and really want to get into 16mm and i want to go the purchasing route as opposed to renting. thanks for your help.

-Erik

Hello Erik.

There is a difference between standard 16 and super 16 film stocks. std 16 film has a row of perforations on both edges while super 16 only has one row of edges, giving you about 20% more image instead, and at the same time, tweaking the aspect ratio to be much closer to 16x9.

The good news is is that it's pretty hard to actually get standard 16 stock these days. Almost almost all the stock being sold is single perf, as specified by the code "1R" 2 perf is "2R" The only cameras that take the "2R" stock are some high speed cameras. In fact, "2R" i think is only available in the 500T and only in 100' loads.....here from Kodak in Australia.

So unless you specifically ask for "2R" then the chances are you'll get the right stock. Double check by looking for "1R".

Good luck...

JB

• Premium Member

There is no difference perf-hole-size-related or emulsion-wise between Normal 16 and Super 16 film stock (as there is between Normal 8 and Super 8).

What you have to make sure when you want to shoot your 16mm film in Super 16, is that the film stocks you order or use have single-perforation (one-sided perforation) only.

You can identify these film stock types via the "1R-xxxx" moniker in Kodaks product catalogue.

You cannot use double-perforation (two-sided perforation) film stocks ("2R-xxxx") when shooting Super 16, as part of the extended Super 16 area will cover the punched-out perf on one side, obviously.

Kodak as well as Fuji provide their 16mm film stocks in both variants, with Super 16 ("1R") better catered for re. reel lengths than Normal 16 ("2R").

• Premium Member

Unlike in Super 8, where Spectra gained the best West Coast reputation by loading Kodak E-100 and Fuji V-50 film stocks into the S8 cartridge and selling it under its own name, the 16mm stock is sold as is from Kodak.

You said you'll be shooting on a Krasnogorsk K-3:

30m/100ft daylight spools are now normal one-perf'd ("1R"), hence "Super-16-ready", so buying what Spectra has on offer would be okay. Beware, however, as John remarked, that Kodak Vision2 500 T (7218) is available both in 1R and 2R, so take extra-care when ordering this film stock.

Generally, ordering by phone and explicitly remarking that you want 1R-film for Super 16 usage is the best way to go about that.

For checking which of the film stocks you want to try out with your K-3 are available on 1R 30m daylight spool, go to Kodak's website and download the relevant tech sheet (link below). On the last page (or next-to-last) of those tech sheets, you will find a table with all the variants available, plus exact order code.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...1.4.6&lc=en

Hope that helped.

• 2 weeks later...

-Erik

Hi Erik,

If you are in Oslo, I am happy to let you look at my s16 Krasnogorsk if that helps with your decission. Just saw you listed on linkedin.com as living here. Or that could be someone else.. ;)

Kristian