City of God

Hi, I unfortunately missed this when it played in theaters but rented the DVD this weekend.

On my Powerbook, at least, I really could not tell what was 35 and what was S16; well I could sort of make an educated guess, but...

So I'm curious, those who saw it theatrically, would you say the S16 material was noticably "16ish", or not ?

Also (if there's a thread on this here I couldn't find it) was the DI some kind of HD as opposed to "2K" as I recall from somewhere ?

Thanks !

-Sam

• Premium Member

It was posted in HDCAM and transferred to 35mm camera negative (5245) using a Celco CRT recorder, and then that was pushed two stops. Don't know what source the DVD is using but it is probably a telecine transfer of the film-out.

By the end of that chain, it was hard to see any differences between the 35mm and Super-16 stuff.

It was posted in High Definition. 2k quality and then transfered to film again.

I live in Brazil, I had the opportunity to watch the movie in the theatres.

after the film went thru the process David Mullen here described I can tell you: you could not tell the difference even on the 35mm projection. the picture was supposed to be that dirty with lots of soft and reflected lighting and overexposed highlights.

good movie, by the way. I dont agree with some things regarding the social aspects on the film but that´s a whole other story.

I haven´t seen ´Master and Commander...´ and I know the photography must be great (i heard Russel Boyd hardly ever used the DI)...

But I´m sure Cezar Charlone (the dp of City of God) deserved the academy award too.

so, what do you think about the movie?

i would like to know what you think about the movie as foreigners watching our reality.

thanks

• Premium Member

The camera negative was telecine transferred to 24P/1080 using Sony's HDCAM tape format (3:1:1 color, 1440 x 1080 pixels, compressed, about 150 mb/sec). So they did an HD post for the project, creating an HD master.

Digital intermediates usually involve scanning the negative at 2K or 4K in data mode (RGB uncompressed) rather than to a compressed video format like HDCAM (which you can think of as 1.4K). You usually end up with a 2K data master for the final transfer back to 35mm. This 2K master will then also be used to make HD masters, from which NTSC and PAL masters are made.

The DVD is very clean looking.

"so, what do you think about the movie?

i would like to know what you think about the movie as foreigners watching our reality."

Can I say on one viewing I was impressed formally but somehow did not really connect with it ?

Your question deserves a more thorough answer. I think I'll try to watch again first.

Would like to see "Bus 182" also.

-Sam

SAM,

Do you mean "Bus 174" ? The Brazilian documentary about a guy that "hijacked" a stopped bus for some hours in Rio?

This is one of the best films on the subject of violence in Rio ever. it goes deep into the reality of those "street kids"... and you start wondering "if he´s not faulted, who is?"

Great movie. Not a reference for cinematography, but for life.

I did a google on: city of god digital intermediate, there turned out to be lots of information.

I'm kinda kicking myself I did not see this in the theater, well I waited for it to get closer to where I live & ut didn't happen.

-Sam

• 5 weeks later...
I did a google on: city of god digital intermediate, there turned out to be lots of information.

I'm kinda kicking myself I did not see this in the theater, well I waited for it to get closer to where I live & ut didn't happen.

-Sam

I saw the film in the theater and I actually thought the entire thing was 16. Now I know more.

thanks