Blast From the Past

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

I was going through some old boxes last weekend and I came across some film related magazines that I had not looked at in years. I found this ad on the back inside cover of the February, 1992 issue of Film Threat magazine. Enjoy.

Aaron

S8ad.jpg

• Premium Member

Thanks Aaron, many thanks for this nostalgic trip and the scanning efforts!

Finally, I was able to see what components Super 8 Sound actually sold then. I see a Tascam Dash and Uher 4000 1/4"er plus sync modules and Sennheiser gear (or is the headphone not a Sennheiser - the packaging looks like the one sold in Germany then). Is that a Noris projector?

I have to say that the marketing capabilities and imagery of the Beaulieu distributors in Germany (Ritter Film + Videotechnik) and the US (Super 8 Sound, as showcased by Phil Vigeant's talent above) were quite something; their business practices made and make many people wonder, I think. But boy o'boy, could they entice and tempt their customers :) .

Actually, has anyone here old sales material (brochures) from Nizo or Bauer or Leitz or Beaulieu from the late 1970s, early 1980s. It's nearly impossible to track this stuff down. You can get manuals quite easily as PDFs now, but what about sales brochures - which often answered newbie questions very didactially?

As it's almost art-historic stuff by now, it would merit some decent scanning and PDF'ing. I am sure Giles Perkins or most certainly Bjarne Eldhuset would be willing to host it B) .

Any chance of a higher-res. scan, Aaron ;) ?

P.S.: The competition:

post-27184-1192732570.jpg

Edited by Michael Lehnert

Thanks Aaron, many thanks for this nostalgic trip and the scanning efforts!

Actually, has anyone here old sales material (brochures) from Nizo or Bauer or Leitz or Beaulieu from the late 1970s, early 1980s. It's nearly impossible to track this stuff down. You can get manuals quite easily as PDFs now, but what about sales brochures - which often answered newbie questions very didactially?

As it's almost art-historic stuff by now, it would merit some decent scanning and PDF'ing. I am sure Giles Perkins or most certainly Bjarne Eldhuset would be willing to host it

If you root around on this site there is some of that kind of ephemera:

http://www.cine-super8.net/

A neat site worth a few hours of browsing.

It's funny-- 1992 is nostalgia? I'm getting old... Actually, Film Threat magazine used to give away S8 Sound stuff as prizes.

Did anyone ever make those features? Anyone have a working S8 Sound Recorder?

• Premium Member
P.S. check out the bottom center of that Nizo picture. Ain't that a coffee pot? How come my 6080 won't do that?

Actually, I had the very same idea about the coffee-making machine, esp. as Braun was famous for its homeware designs as well.

But in fact, the "coffee pot" is the Braun Nizolux 1000 halogen lamp. There was also a Braun Nizolux 1000 G which was fan-cooled and focussable (the 'G' stands for the German word 'Gebläse', which means "Blow-fan"). You can get one here for 65 USD (other sellers are available) ;) .

post-27184-1193365801.jpg

Edited by Michael Lehnert

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

An unsuspected "blast from the past" fell into our film group's collective hands via the purchase of a Beaulieu 4008 ZM II Black Anniversary Edition:

Namely an included unexposed yet unwrapped K-40 cartridge that expired on 12/1982! For us here, that's oddly symbolic because 12/1982 was when the film group here was actually formed / came together.

What a coincidence, and what are the chances?!

This is the oldest cartridge I have personally come across face-to-face. Enclosed was also a manual on how to handle the K-40, plus a list of all the film developing laborataries on this planet...

Pics for your all delectation attached.

post-27184-1209968206.jpg

post-27184-1209968235.jpg

post-27184-1209968266.jpg

Yup, I go back. I've got lots of G film, too, and a few rolls of some kind of GAF ASA 500 stuff. Oh, and Dynachrome, and a couple Tower brand that Sears used to send back to you free when you joined their 'Tower Film Club.'

But hey, I still think that Braun lamp looks like one of their coffee pots!