Hearts of Darkness DVD -11/20/07

• Premium Member

"Hearts of Darkness", the great behind the scenes documentary film about director Francis Ford Coppola and the troubled production of Apocalypse Now, will finally be released on DVD November 20, 2007. Distribution of the DVD will be via Paramount. The DVD will reportedly include a narration track by Francis Coppola and his wife Eleanor. The disc will also feature Eleanor's Coda: Thirty Years Later, a follow-up documentary on the whole production and it's aftermath.

Sadly, the DVD doesn't include audio commentary by director George Hickenlooper or Fax Bahr.

You can read Hickenlooper's comments on the subject here: Hollywood Elsewhere

I've had a dvd of this for years, a very nice projectionist made me a copy from his laserdisc. This making of is hilarious!

It's really interesting to see Coppola on the verge of completely losing his mind. Anybody would after working on the same narrative film for over 3 years.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason the picture quality is "poor since the footage was shot with 16mm cameras." That's what DVD Beaver says, anyways.

Sigh.

I'm all for the 1st and freedom of speech and all the other good stuff, but when people write as a profession and do so believing that they are doing so for the benefit of their readers it would be pure nirvana if they knew what they are talking about before "educating" their minions. This is even more true in a film community. This guy, "Eddie Fing," is writing about a film and acts like he knows a thing about film production but looses credibiltiy with what I guess is a fact in his book.