Krasnogorsk Film Gate and Pressure Plate

Tristan Noelle

• Premium Member

I'd like to get the film gate and pressure plate polished on my K3. I've cleaned it up and removed the loop guides. Test footage I ran through it (before removing the guides) had several consistent vertical scratches on each frame. Luckily it was an old roll of Tri-x I had laying around. If it wasn't the projector, one of those were probably the problem.

I'd like to start having fun with the thing. Does anyone know where I can get the gate and pressure plate polished? Could I do it myself?

Thanks.

I'd like to get the film gate and pressure plate polished on my K3. I've cleaned it up and removed the loop guides. Test footage I ran through it (before removing the guides) had several consistent vertical scratches on each frame. Luckily it was an old roll of Tri-x I had laying around. If it wasn't the projector, one of those were probably the problem.

I'd like to start having fun with the thing. Does anyone know where I can get the gate and pressure plate polished? Could I do it myself?

Thanks.

I think,you can polished of film gate and pressure plate yourself, but, the ode detail.

You must take away of film gate from camera and after, you set a film gate on camera, you must check of flange focal distance, because, the flange focal distance can change at this procedure.

And, not need forget, The pressure plate and film gate have fine layer of chrome plating, that's why, not possible use of abrasive material.

From other side, the "consistent vertical scratches " can be from too high size of upper film loop, because, the upper film loop can touch of upper end of film gate.

• 1 month later...
why would the FFD change? It screws right in yes? I dont think polishing the burrs off the edges of teh enlarged aperture would do much.. would it? Anyway the guy that filed my plate said that I should use a polishing stone

Ah, you might not want to use a polishing stone even one as fine as an Arkansa (sp.). There is always the chance of picking up a bit of grit and causing more harm than good. The only thing we ever used was a polishing wadding called "Neverdull". Besure your hands are clean and the work area is also clean then pull a chunk of the wadding from the can and proceed with the polishing. Never scratched anything with this method. Even worked good on that soft German silver on the film guide in the bottom of the Arri 2C bodies. You can buy "Neverdull" at most hardware stores and even some drug stores.