Music Rights Question

Alex Mercer

My guess is you would try to get in touch with their representatives or the bands agents.

But it is possible that someone else owns the rights to the music.

So I would try to find out who owns the rights and then ask for permission to use their music. It can be a pain sometimes, they my want to see the script, or any other info they might decide they want to see.

But that?s just what I think based on what I have read.

^_^

I think (correct me if I?m wrong) that the record company owns the rights to the bands profits, and the pays the band. But I?m not in the music biz so.

Edited by zrszach

contact the harry fox agency in NY. they should be able to tell you who has the rights to the song. the song could have been handed down many times, you never know.

re: how much... depends on many factors... they may ask you for some money up front and on the backend or a point or two (or three. etc) on the overall project... it just depends...

Guest dpforum1968

Take my advice, find some other piece of music. You won't be able to afford it.

It may be a non profit film made by a teenager, guess what, the music industry could care less. If you think film executives are really reptiles in human form, wait until you meet the music industry people. They are from a planet that eats kittens for breakfast.

The music industry folks are in a very foul mood these days, they think they are losing billions over the internet to downloaders.

Don't even think about using a song in a film festival without their written permission. They will find out I assure you. The music industry has spies in every town in America.

They will sue you and your parents, then your grandparents, and great grandparents.

Don't mess with these folk. Get some royalty free music and make it work. It's cheap and hassel free.

DC